Check out the redesigned ADG Explore

Today's Paper Latest stories Obits Email newsletters Weather Traffic Restaurant inspections Puzzles + games

— A police officer working at a junior high school in Pine Bluff used pepper spray in a hallway to get students to move inside their classrooms.

Superintendent Jerry Payne says three students were taken to a hospital and another 17 left school for the day after the Thursday incident.

Student Faith Forney told Little Rock television station KLRT that students were gagging and vomiting after the officer used the spray.

Pine Bluff police spokesman Lt. Bob Rawlinson told The Associated Press that the department is conducting an internal investigation into the incident and that he couldn’t release a report.

Payne says the officer used the spray by pointing it at the ground because students weren’t getting to class quickly enough.

Comments

• tnayew
    April 7, 2012 at 4:35 a.m.

Remember the old west when a bad guy would fire his gun into the ground to get someone they were bullying to jump or move faster, well I suppose that's next with
    these kids, right?

• bigjohnsmith
    April 7, 2012 at 10:05 a.m.

storm troppers

• Oldearkie
    April 7, 2012 at 3:14 p.m.

So there now. That'll teach those kids who's the boss. We need more gestapo in the schools to really get them in line. Used to, the parents ran the schools but it ain't that way any more. We just supply the money to run the schools and pay the gestapo.

• T6
    April 7, 2012 at 4:07 p.m.

Remember the days when you had to get to class and in your seat BEFORE the bell rang? When you weren't allowed to talk BEFORE you held up your hand. Oh those were the days? I wish for kids now days what we had, they need it so desperately. DISCIPLINE..

• DontDrinkDatKoolAid
    April 7, 2012 at 4:30 p.m.

T6 your kidding right, "DISCIPLINE" at home, the Government will not allow that! That is the Governments job.

• T6
    April 7, 2012 at 4:40 p.m.

Yes but I meant discipline IN School and at home. I got my butt beat once in the first grade when I got home I got another one. That was the last one I got in school but I can't exactly say the same about at home. I was a hard headed little critter.

• DontDrinkDatKoolAid
    April 7, 2012 at 5:35 p.m.

Last year a friend of mime daughter disciplined her child in a parking lot that had cameras. Somebody reported her and used the cameras as evidence against her for child abuse. That is the Department of Childrens Services for you. The charges were dismissed with a warning.

• amberjack
    April 8, 2012 at 6:39 a.m.

That'll get them to listen, just brings tears to my eyes, good job officer