NEWTOWN, Conn. With security stepped up and families still on edge in Newtown, schools are opening for the first time since last week’s massacre, bringing a return of familiar routines — at least, for some — to a grief-stricken town as it buries 20 of its children.
Two 6-year-old boys were laid to rest Monday in the first of a long, almost unbearable procession of funerals. A total of 26 people were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary in one of the worst mass shootings in U.S history.
While classes resume Tuesday for Newtown schools except those at Sandy Hook, some parents were likely to keep their children at home anyway. Local police and school officials have been discussing how and where to increase security, and state police said they would be on alert for threats and hoaxes.
Suzy DeYoung said her 15-year-old son is going back to the high school.
“I think he wants to go back,” she said. “If he told me he wants to stay home, I’d let him stay home. I think going back to a routine is a good idea; at least that’s what I hear from professionals.”
On Monday, Newtown held the first two funerals of many the picturesque New England community of 27,000 people will face over the next few days.