LITTLE ROCK Cities across the state are celebrating Veterans Day, which is Sunday, with various free events and activities.
State office buildings will be closed next Monday in observance of the federal holiday.
The public is invited to events at North Little Rock and Maumelle memorial sites Sunday to pay tribute to veterans and military members.
North Little Rock will have a ceremony at 2 p.m. Sunday at the North Little Rock Veterans Memorial on the plaza of Laman Library, 2801 Orange St. The memorial site is across from the post office on Pershing Boulevard.
Maumelle will hold its observance at 4 p.m. Sunday at the city's Veterans Memorial at Lake Willastein in Maumelle. The event is scheduled for one hour.
Here's a partial list of celebratory activities that starting Thursday and continuing through Monday.
- A seminar on veterans benefits will be 2:30 p.m. at Andover Place, a Little Rock retirement center.
- A Veterans Day program will be held at 10 a.m. at the Little River County Courthouse in Ashdown.
- A Veterans Day celebration will be held at 11 a.m. at the University of Central Arkansas football practice field in Conway,
- A Veterans Day "salute" will be held at 7:30 p.m. at the Ozark Heritage Arts Center in Leslie.
- A Veterans Day parade and celebration at 9:30 a.m. at the Pig Trail Harley-Davidson in Rogers.
- A Veterans Day parade at 9:55 a.m. in downtown Jonesboro,
- A Veterans Day parade will be from 11 a.m. to noon in downtown Texarkana.
- A "Salute to Veterans" barbecue will be held at 12:30 p.m. at Andover Place in Little Rock.
- The 2012 Khaki Spectacular, a variety show on veterans, will be at 7 p.m. at the Lyric Theatre in Harrison. A second show will be 2 p.m. Sunday.
- A Veterans Day ceremony will be held at 2:30 p.m. on Peace Park and Main Street in Fordyce,
- The Northwest Arkansas Veterans Day parade will be held at 2:30 p.m. on Emma Street in Springdale,
- A Veterans Ceremony will be at 4 p.m. at the Veterans Memorial in Lake Willastein Park in Maumelle.
- The Pope County Veterans Day parade will be 4 p.m. in downtown Russellville.
- A Veterans Day parade will be held at 6:30 p.m. in downtown Hot Springs.
- A Veterans Day parade will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Main Street in Van Buren.