After a public hearing last week, highway officials said Thursday that they identified the preferred route for connected Interstate 40 to Arkansas 25 in northwest Conway.
The connection route has been singled out as the best option because it is the shortest, the least expensive and forces the fewest residents — three — to relocate, the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department said in a statement.
The 1.1-mile route will cost about $5.5 million to build, and construction is set to begin in 2015, officials said. The cost will be equally divided among the Highway Department, the city of Conway and Faulkner county, highway officials said.
Another, 1.3-mile route was considered, but it would have cost $6.5 million and seven residences would have been asked to relocate, department said.
The Highway Department intends to hold another public hearing in the coming months to give more detailed information on the route and to give residents another chance to weigh in.