A 12-year-old Arkansas girl who has been battling a rare and often-fatal infection caused by a brain-eating amoeba is now able to speak.
Kali Hardig was diagnosed last month with an infection caused by an amoeba called Naegleria fowleri.
Health officials say there have been 128 reported infections in the United States since 1962. Before Kali, doctors could only point to one known survivor in the U.S. and another in Mexico.
One of Kali's doctors, Dr. Vikki Stefans, said this week that Kali can now say a few words. Stefans said she also watched Kali take a few steps.
Health officials believe Kali got sick after a trip to Willow Springs Water Park in Little Rock. The amoeba that caused her infection is often found in warm freshwater.