FORT HOOD, Texas — The Fort Hood shooter, an Army psychiatrist convicted of killing 13 people in the November 2009 attack, faces the death penalty as the sentencing phase of his trial begins Monday.
Maj. Nidal Hasan showed no reaction after being found guilty last week by a military jury, which will now decide whether the Virginia-born Muslim who said he opened fire on unarmed soldiers at the Texas Army post to protect insurgents abroad should be executed.
Twelve of the dead were soldiers, including a pregnant private who pleaded for the unborn child's life. More than 30 others were wounded. Investigators collected more than 200 bullet casings at the site of the attack.
At the minimum, the 42-year-old Hasan will spend the rest of his life in prison.
"This is where members [of the jury] decide whether you will live or whether you will die," Col. Tara Osborn, the trial judge, told Hasan on Friday after his conviction.
She then again implored Hasan, who represented himself during the 14-day trial, to consider letting his standby attorneys take over for the sentencing phase. He declined.
Read tomorrow's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette for full details.