Your daily look at late-breaking news, coming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. ARGO, LIFE OF PI BIG OSCAR WINNERS
2. STATE-BY-STATE FALLOUT FROM BUDGET CUTS
3. A DATE FOR END OF CASTRO ERA
4. ASSIGNING BLAME FOR GULF OIL SPILL
A trial begins today to determine how much in damages oil giant BP and other companies should pay for the 2010 disaster.
5. HORSE MEAT SCANDAL HITS IKEA
Furniture retailer pulls its Swedish meatballs from shelves in Britain, Ireland and several European countries after Czech authorities detect horse meat in packages labeled as being made of pork and beef.
6. POPE BENEDICT CHANGES THE RULES
7. ANOTHER STORM HEADED TO CENTRAL U.S.
Blizzard warnings were in effect in Kansas after up to a foot and a half of snow fell there last week.
8. SETH MACFARLANE PRAISED AS IRREVERENT OSCAR HOST
“MacFarlane’s strategic misbehavior furnished welcome relief,” AP Television Writer Frazier Moore says.
9. TRIPS AND FALLS AT THE OSCARS
Best Actress winner Jennifer Lawrence stumbled on her way to the podium, and injured presenter Kristen Stewart hobbled onstage.
10. POUR ON THE OLIVE OIL
A five-year study finds people who ate Mediterranean-style diets had a 30 percent lower risk of cardiovascular problems.