Featuring: Academics Plus, Atkins, Bigelow, Central Arkansas Christian, Clinton, Concord, Conway, Conway Christian, Conway St. Joseph, Danville, Dardanelle, Dover, Greenbrier, Guy Perkins, Heber Springs, Hector, Maumelle, Mayflower, Morrilton, Mount Vernon-Enola, Nemo Vista, Perryville, Pottsville, Quitman, Russellville, Sacred Heart, Shirley, South Side Bee Branch, Two Rivers, Vilonia, Western Yell County, West Side Greers Ferry, Wonderview.READ ONLINE
Faulkner County Museum plans summer programOriginally Published May 26, 2013 at 12:00 a.m.
Updated May 24, 2013 at 11:52 a.m.
The Faulkner County Museum will offer a summer program featuring stories and crafts for children 2 to 12.
Monday Morning Make-It at the Museum will begin June 3 and continue through Aug. 12. The program, which will be held from 10-11:30 a.m. each Monday, is free, but donations will be accepted.
“Each Monday, we’ll focus on one exhibit or theme from the museum,” said Lynita Langley-Ware, museum director. “We’ll have a story and a related craft activity that children can finish and take home with them. Each week is something different,” she said.
“This is the first time for us to do something like this. I had requests from moms and grandmoms to do some kind of summer program for children. Some of the moms and grandmoms will be here to help as well,” Langley-Ware said.
“I have no budget, so I am soliciting donations of art supplies and cash donations to help cover the cost of the materials. If the program is successful, I hope to be able to build it into the budget for next summer.
“The program has to be relevant to the mission of the museum, so the themes and subjects we use must be relevant to some collection we have here at the museum or some other program that we present. For instance, when we make pinch pots on July 8, we’ll talk about the Native Americans who lived in what is now Faulkner County.”
The following programs are scheduled:
• June 3 — Pioneer Gardening: Toad Houses
• June 10 — Faulkner County Artists: Coffee Filter Art
• June 17 — Log Cabin Living: Build Your Own Cabin
• June 24 — Summer in the County: Sunprinting on Fabric (weather permitting) or Bug Houses
• July 1 — Celebrate Independence Day with a Community Band and Homemade Instruments
• July 8 — Native Americans in Arkansas: Make Your Own Pinch Pots
• July 15 — Airports and Flying: Build Your Own Airplane
• July 22 — Cotton in the County: Weaving Your Own Bookmark or Mug Rug
• July 29 — Pioneers in Faulkner County: Making Cornhusk Dolls
• Aug. 5 — Railroads in Faulkner County: Junior Engineers Make Their Own Train
• Aug. 12 — Making Do: Making Your Own Paper Scrap Quilt
For more information or to make a reservation for a child, call Langley-Ware at (501) 329-5918.