NAIROBI, Kenya — Closed-circuit television footage from a Nairobi mall attacked by terrorists last month shows four men carrying automatic weapons, a top government official said Wednesday, an indication there may not have been as many attackers as government officials first said.
Kenya's government initially said 10 to 15 attackers were involved in the Sept. 21 attack on Westgate Mall, an assault that killed at least 67 people and which the al-Qaida-linked Somali militant group al-Shabab has claimed responsibility for.
The mall security footage shows armed men casually strolling through the mall, shooting unarmed civilians. The footage may not show all of the assailants that took part in the attack, though the government official said he believes only four took part in the protracted siege. The official insisted on anonymity to discuss information not publicly released.
Six security officers — three military and three police officers — died in the confrontation, according to government officials.
Dozens of youths have been detained in the Majengo slum area of Nairobi in recent days in police efforts to track down the mall attackers.