FORT SMITH — Prosecutors say they won't seek the death penalty for a Fort Smith man charged in the shooting death of his former father-in-law.
Sebastian County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Shue filed the notice Thursday saying he will not seek death for Michael Ray Underwood. Prosecutors charged Underwood with capital murder in the June 13 shooting death of 63-year-old Michael Shook.
Authorities say Underwood also shot himself in the encounter. According to the Southwest Times Record, a police report says Underwood will likely never walk again or regain function in the left side of his body because of his injuries.
The report says Underwood's ex-wife told police that Underwood had been harassing her and showing up at her home unannounced.