A Jacksonville man who was arrested on charges that he purportedly attempted to destroy several central Arkansas power grids waived his initial right to a detention hearing in his first appearance in federal court.
Jason Woodring, 37, told federal court officials at his arraignment on Tuesday that he did not wish to fight his current detainment after being accused of damaging the grids in Lonoke County, according to a statement from the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Arkansas. Woodring reserved the right to have the hearing at later date, the office said.
Arkansas Online previously reported that the first of the three incidents occurred Aug. 21 in Cabot when a shackle that secured a 500,000-volt power line was cut. This caused a power line to fall onto a nearby railroad track, where the line was later severed by a passing train, causing a brief power failure in the area.
Woodring was developed as a suspect in the case after officials in the county received several complaints last week about an explosion on John Shelton Road in Jacksonville. Authorities eventually determined the explosions involved power lines near Woodring's home.
FBI agents matched a blue hose found at Woodring's residence with a hose found at the scene of another destructed power grid, which led to his arrest, the office said.
Read more on this story in Wednesday's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.