ASHDOWN — A defense lawyer says a judge has ordered a new trial for an Arkansas man who was sentenced to death for a 1997 double slaying.
One of Timothy Howard's attorneys, Patrick Benca, said Judge Charles Yeargan granted the new trial during a Tuesday court appearance in Ashdown.
Yeargan's decision comes after the Arkansas Supreme Court last year granted a new hearing for Howard. The state's highest court sided in part with Howard's attorneys, who had argued that some information about potential errors in DNA testing was not disclosed.
Benca said Yeargan agreed that that information should have been available to both Howard's lawyers and prosecutors.
A prosecutor did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment.
Howard was convicted in 1999 in the 1997 slayings of a married couple.