Subscribe Register Login

Air Force Base given 'all clear' after lockdown

Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 9:48 p.m.
Top Picks - Arkansas Daily Deal

HELPFUL HINTS

By HELOISE

This article was published April 17, 2014 at 2:36 a.m.

DEAR READER: The column on the importance of every household having carbon-monoxide detectors prompted the following questions:

“Why do I need a carbon-monoxide detector? I have no gas appliances, no fireplace, no charcoal grill and no attached garage. … I don’t understand why I would need one.”

  • Patricia J. in Virginia

“My home is all electric, and I think there should be no problem.”

  • Linda T. in California

“Can you tell us where all this carbon monoxide would be coming/leaking from?”

  • A Reader, via email

As the saying goes, it is better to be safe than sorry. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission states that “every home should have a carbon monoxide alarm.” Why? Although electric appliances do not give off carbon monoxide, a car left running in the garage or a fire in the chimney can give off the deadly gas. Carbon monoxide can come from many sources, not just the obvious fuel-burning appliances. A detector does not cost much, so why take the chance? Better safe than sorry.

DEAR HELOISE: An easy way to get loose birdseed into the feeders is to cut a half-gallon plastic milk container into two pieces, with the larger portion being the bottom two-thirds of the container. The top part serves as a funnel, and the lower portion is a good container for scooping up the seed.

  • Nick P., Iuka, Miss.

DEAR HELOISE: My grandchildren keep many toys and stuffed animals at my house for when they visit. I would like to clean the stuffed animals before their next visit. Do you have a hint on how to get them clean?

  • Janet S. in Indiana

DEAR READER: Sprinkle a stuffed animal with baking soda and rub it in using your hand or a soft brush. After letting it sit for a while, give the stuffed animal a good shaking to remove all the baking soda, and it is now ready to play another day. Clean plastic toys with a paste of baking soda and hot water. Just a light scrub and rinse should keep all toys ready to play.

DEAR HELOISE: I recycle paper fliers, handouts, etc., by using them in my copier so that the printing is on the blank side. This is a wonderful way to recycle and save.

  • Diane S. in Houston

Send a money- or time-saving hint to Heloise, P.O. Box 795000, San Antonio, Texas 78279-5000; fax to (210) 435-6473; or email Heloise@Heloise.com

Weekend, Pages 34 on 04/17/2014

Print Headline: HELPFUL HINTS

Comments on: HELPFUL HINTS

To report abuse or misuse of this area please hit the "Suggest Removal" link in the comment to alert our online managers. Read our Terms of Use policy.

Subscribe Register Login

You must login to make comments.

TOP JOBS

  • Special ed teacher

    lakeside school district in Hot Springs is accepting applic...
    HOT SPRINGS NATIONAL PARK, AR

  • Dentist

    general dentist Wanted full or part time at busy office in H...
    HOT SPRINGS NATIONAL PARK, AR

  • Concrete finishers

    top pay Form Carpenters Laborers Apply in person bass comme...
    Little Rock, AR

  • Sales assistant

    Are you: Highly organized, Energetic, Detail oriented, and ...
    Little Rock, AR

  • Instructors

    The University of Arkansas at Little Rock (UALR), located in...
    LITTLE ROCK, AR

Search 871 jobs >

Top Picks - Arkansas Daily Deal
Arkansas Online