CHIBOK, Nigeria — Parents say 234 girls are missing from the northeast Nigerian school attacked last week by Islamic extremists, up significantly from the 85 reported by education officials.
The higher figure came out Monday, a week after the kidnappings, when the Borno state governor insisted a military escort take him to the town. Parents told the governor that officials would not listen to them. Security officials had told Gov. Kashim Shettima that it was too dangerous for him to drive to Chibok, 80 miles from Maiduguri, the Borno state capital and birthplace of the Boko Haram terrorist network blamed for the abductions.
The discrepancy in the figures could not immediately be resolved.