Subscribe Register Login

Thursday, September 18, 2014, 11:15 p.m.
Top Picks - Capture Arkansas

Air Force Base given 'all clear' after lockdown

By ArkansasOnline

This article was originally published July 23, 2014 at 12:05 p.m. Updated July 23, 2014 at 5:39 p.m.

traffic-backs-up-wednesday-july-23-2014-around-the-little-rock-air-force-base-in-jacksonville-which-was-put-on-lockdown-because-of-a-suspicious-individual

Traffic backs up Wednesday, July 23, 2014, around the Little Rock Air Force Base in Jacksonville, which was put on lockdown because of a "suspicious individual."

Update:

The four-hour lockdown at the Little Rock Air Force Base in Jacksonville has been lifted.

A reporter on the scene said an official gave an "all clear" announcement shortly after 4 p.m. over the speaker system on the base. Cars that had been waiting to enter and leave the base were seen passing through the front gate, the reporter said.

"We responded with the necessary caution to secure our Airmen, their families and Air Force resources" Col. Patrick Rhatigan, 19th Airlift Wing commander, said in a statement. "After a thorough search of the base, we the found the report no longer credible. I am pleased with the response of our Security Forces and appreciate the support of the Jacksonville Police Department and other federal law enforcement officials. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused, but security and safety is our top priority."

Read Thursday's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette for more details.

Earlier:

Little Rock Air Force Base in Jacksonville was locked down because of "a suspicious individual."

Officials there released little information about what prompted the lockdown, which started at 11:45 a.m. Initially, no one was being allowed on or off the base and people on the base were locked in buildings, a spokesman said.

A reporter on the scene said some vehicles were allowed to leave the base around 2:30 p.m.

Three C-130 planes were diverted to the Little Rock National Airport between between 12:48 and 1:13 p.m., airport spokesman Shane Carter said. He said the planes will remain there and more could land while the lockdown is in effect.

A release from the base said emergency personnel were responding and that the lockdown was "in the interest of protecting all base members and resources from a suspicious individual."

Officials said no further information could be released.

The base had been scheduled to undergo emergency response exercise Tuesday and Wednesday. A base spokesman said officials had been in training mode when a "real world" situation prompted the lockdown.

Jacksonville Police Department spokesman April Kiser referred questions to base officials, adding that the department had been notified and was prepared to provide assistance if needed.

Information for this story was contributed by Gavin Lesnick and Lisa Burnett of Arkansas Online.

Comments on: Air Force Base given 'all clear' after lockdown

To report abuse or misuse of this area please hit the "Suggest Removal" link in the comment to alert our online managers. Read our Terms of Use policy.

Subscribe Register Login

You must login to make comments.

Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 total comments

Yworry1 says... July 23, 2014 at 12:57 p.m.

Does anyone have any updates on this yet?

( | suggest removal )

LevyRat says... July 23, 2014 at 2:10 p.m.

There was a day when you might get news on something like this, but unfortunately newspapers, TV and radio just repeat what other people tell them. As soon as LRAFB issues a statement, they will repeat it.

( | suggest removal )

RHook says... July 23, 2014 at 2:19 p.m.

We have a reporter on the scene and are frequently calling our sources. As the story states, we will provide updates as soon as they become available.

( | suggest removal )

2531USMC says... July 23, 2014 at 3:37 p.m.

The mushroom effect, the militairy is known for keeping everyone in the dark. Even if you are on base the need to know factor is always in play

( | suggest removal )

WhiteRiverInMyVeins says... July 24, 2014 at 8:49 a.m.

I doubt the base commander had much more details than the rest of us. He could have only had what info that was passed up to him from those searching the area. I am sure he was fed some bad information as well, which is exactly why details are limited. The base commander sure doesn't want to go to the media and spread rumors, bad info or look like an idiot. I am sure he had his hands full during this event. The thing that is most important is it wasn't anything serious, the SP's and others involved did exactly what they were trained to do....heck if nothing else, in the words of my old drill sergeant, good training soldiers, good training!

( | suggest removal )

  • page
  • 1
Click here to make a comment

To report abuse or misuse of this area please hit the "Suggest Removal" link in the comment to alert our online managers. Read our Terms of Use policy.

TOP JOBS

  • Sous chef

    Senior Retirement Community: Opportunity for an energetic Cu...
    LITTLE ROCK, AR

  • Cna's

    brighton ridge attention Brighton Ridge of Eureka Springs is...
    EUREKA SPRINGS, AR

  • Cook

    the arkansas schoolfor the blind is seeking applicants for:T...
    LITTLE ROCK, AR

  • Shop technician

    shop technicianhugg and Hall Equipment, a leader among Arkan...
    LITTLE ROCK, AR

  • Dispatch

    dispatchwe are expanding our operations department and we ar...
    BEEBE, AR

Search 877 jobs >

Top Picks - Capture Arkansas
Arkansas Online