After investigating a possible attempted kidnapping last week, Benton police determined there was no cause for charging a man who was originally identified as a suspect.
On July 21, officers responded to the intersection of South and Main streets in downtown Benton about 9:40 a.m., where a 16-year-old girl said a Hispanic man tried to get her to enter his truck, ArkansasOnline previously reported.
The case was turned over to detectives and it was determined through investigation that there wasn’t an attempted kidnapping, Benton Police Department spokesman Lt. Kevin Russell said.
The victim, a possible suspect and witnesses were interviewed by officials, and it was determined that “no charges were warranted in the case,” police said.
The man, who was initially listed as a suspect, was offering a ride to the girl. Police established that this resulted in a miscommunication between the two because the man spoke only Spanish and couldn’t communicate his question to the girl.
Investigators found that no force, threat of force or intimidation were used.
Anyone with information on the case is encouraged to call Benton police at (501) 778-1171 or (501) 315-TIPS. Anonymous tips can be submitted by texting 274637 with the keyword BNPD in the body of the message.