Subscribe Register Login

Escaped Pulaski County inmate arrested in Missouri

Tuesday, September 23, 2014, 11:38 p.m.
Top Picks - Mobile App

Nigerian leader cancels abducted girls' town trip

This article was published May 16, 2014 at 7:33 a.m.

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria — Amid apparent security concerns, Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan cancelled a trip Friday to the traumatized town from which Islamic extremists abducted more than 300 schoolgirls a month ago.

It would have been the first reported visit by the president to the scene of an attack in the northeastern region that has suffered for five years the increasingly deadly assaults by Nigeria's homegrown Boko Haram terrorist network. Jonathan, a Christian from the south, has been accused of insensitivity to the plight of the mainly Muslim northerners. Thousands have been killed over the years and more than 1,500 civilians have died in the insurgency this year alone.

Two officials in the presidency confirmed the cancellation saying there were apparent concerns about security after news of the planned trip was leaked to the media and published on front pages of newspapers Friday. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not supposed to give information to reporters.

Jonathan had been expected to fly on one of his presidential jets from Abuja, the capital in central Nigeria, to Maiduguri, the Borno state capital in the northeast, and then be transported by military helicopter to the town of Chibok, 80 miles to the south.

The road from Maiduguri to Chibok passes by the Sambisa Forest to which the girls first were taken that is a known hideout of the insurgents and has been attacked many times. Soldiers say 12 troops were killed in an ambush on that road on Monday night. The Defense Ministry said four soldiers were killed in a firefight on the outskirts of Chibok that night.

Soldiers revolted and opened fire on the car of a commanding officer who came to pay respects to the bodies brought to a Maiduguri barracks on Tuesday, said the soldiers, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they want to keep their jobs. The Defense Ministry said the soldiers only fired into the air. The commander was unharmed.

There have been other signs that some Nigerian troops are near mutiny, complaining that they are outnumbered and outgunned by the insurgents, are not properly paid and have to scavenge for food in the bush.

Comments on: Nigerian leader cancels abducted girls' town trip

To report abuse or misuse of this area please hit the "Suggest Removal" link in the comment to alert our online managers. Read our Terms of Use policy.

Subscribe Register Login

You must login to make comments.

TOP JOBS

  • Cna's

    ashley health and rehabilitation is accepting applications f...
    ROGERS, AR

  • Sales rep

    fairfield bay area need a fulltime salesperson in russellvi...
    Little Rock, AR

  • Sales reps

    fairfield bay, batesville, conway, russellville area - base...
    Conway, AR

  • Program manager

    cloyes Gear and Products, Inc. management and engineering op...
    PARIS, AR

  • Architect

    architect-The Stuttgart School District is seeking an archit...
    STUTTGART, AR

Search 995 jobs >

Top Picks - Mobile App
Arkansas Online