Subscribe Register Login
Saturday, September 23, 2017, 2:33 a.m.

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Picks - Arkansas Daily Deal

Report takes pokes at I-30 plan; firm says wider corridor will add to congestion

By Noel Oman

This article was published April 13, 2016 at 5:45 a.m.

special-to-the-arkansas-democrat-gazette-10-13-2015-the-interstate-30-interchange-serving-downtown-little-rock-as-it-looks-today

Special to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - 10-13-2015 - The Interstate 30 interchange serving downtown Little Rock as it looks today.



Sign up for free, daily email alerts from the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

Widening the Interstate 30 corridor through downtown Little Rock and North Little Rock to 10 lanes or more will increase congestion rather than reduce it, according to a consultant retained by opponents of the $630 million project.



Sign up for free, daily email alerts from the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

This story is only available from the Arkansas Online archives. Stories can be purchased individually for $2.95. Click here to search for this story in the archives.

Print Headline: Report takes pokes at I-30 plan; Wider corridor will add to congestion, not curb it, firm says

ADVERTISEMENT

Comments on: Report takes pokes at I-30 plan; firm says wider corridor will add to congestion

To report abuse or misuse of this area please hit the "Suggest Removal" link in the comment to alert our online managers. Read our Terms of Use policy.

Subscribe Register Login

You must login to make comments.

Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 total comments

RBBrittain says... April 13, 2016 at 7:58 a.m.

Since when did the movie Field of Dreams constitute "more advanced traffic modeling"? Highways tend to FOLLOW population demands, NOT create them! This is just another made-up philosophy to justify freeway opponents' Chicken Little hysteria. I-30 needed to be 10 lanes 25 years ago!

( | suggest removal )

Whippersnapper says... April 13, 2016 at 8:50 a.m.

No, the rest of the loop around Little Rock needed to be built 20+ years ago. If it had been, everybody from NLR and Cabot and Beebe who commutes to West Little Rock would be driving it.

( | suggest removal )

cmatthews40510 says... April 13, 2016 at 9:01 a.m.

Imagine that...a study funded by the opponents of this project... advocates their position. Who would've thought? Additional capacity is needed, shoulders are needed, and longer on/off ramps are absolutely needed.

Turning this into a boulevard is absolutely one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Adding capacity to city/local streets is a great idea but unless they are state highways they are barking up the wrong tree. That alternative is also very pricey with right of way and utility costs.

An additional crossing may help some for local LR to local NLR destinations but how many thousands use this corridor to get to the North and South interchanges to get IN/OUT of LR? An additional crossing won't help that congestion.

( | suggest removal )

drs01 says... April 13, 2016 at 9:14 a.m.

So, now we know how this game is played. If you own downtown property, plan to develop downtown property using federal tax credits, are a developer with a biblical name, a member of the downtown Little Rock Partnership, the Chamber, or the Little Rock Convention Bureau, Metroplan Inc. , or the city mayor, you can pay someone to support your plan for the downtown area.

( | suggest removal )

CarpeNoctis says... April 13, 2016 at 12:05 p.m.

Another consideration is that we are not Houston, or PA, or any other city with some actual planning. Yes, the north belt should have been built immediately, not allowing Sherwood to "sell" land to homeowners who have now sued to keep their property, though why, since it floods in any big rain. Other cities have more than 6 streets funneling people to DT area, they have actual metro planning, where we've been given slap-dash, cobbled together nonsense. Even if everyone goes to electric vehicles, they too are going to need lanes on I-30. It is a nightmare now and I refused to drive on it, even at 10 p.m., there is traffic.

( | suggest removal )

applegg says... April 13, 2016 at 12:06 p.m.

These people got the answer they paid for. They are idiots. All of their arguments against expansion come down to "If we build it, people will use it". How stupid it that. And the boulevard concept if pure fantasy -- no reality component at all.

( | suggest removal )

LR1955 says... April 13, 2016 at 1:01 p.m.

drs01, he wants to part the Interstate Sea so the oppressed downtown hang out folks can scurry from clinton ave to the proposed east side pub district. Let My People Go...down a tree-lined boulevard !

( | suggest removal )

  • page
  • 1
Click here to make a comment

To report abuse or misuse of this area please hit the "Suggest Removal" link in the comment to alert our online managers. Read our Terms of Use policy.

ADVERTISEMENT

SHOPPING

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Picks - Arkansas Daily Deal
Arkansas Online