Subscribe Register Login
Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 10:27 p.m.

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Picks - Mobile App

Family: Tom Petty died of accidental drug overdose

By The Associated Press

This article was published January 19, 2018 at 6:23 p.m.

file-in-this-sept-17-2017-file-photo-tom-petty-of-tom-petty-and-the-heartbreakers-appears-at-kaaboo-2017-in-san-diego-calif-petty-has-died-at-age-66-spokeswoman-carla-sacks-says-petty-died-monday-night-oct-2-2017-at-ucla-medical-center-in-los-angeles-after-he-suffered-cardiac-arrest-photo-by-amy-harrisinvisionap-file

FILE - In this Sept. 17, 2017, file photo, Tom Petty of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers appears at KAABOO 2017 in San Diego, Calif. Petty has died at age 66. Spokeswoman Carla Sacks says Petty died Monday night, Oct. 2, 2017, at UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles after he suffered cardiac arrest. (Photo by Amy Harris/Invision/AP, File)



NEW YORK — Tom Petty's family says his death last year was due to an accidental drug overdose.

His wife and daughter released the results of Petty's autopsy via a statement on his Facebook page Friday night. Dana and Adria Petty said they got the results from the coroner's office earlier in the day that the overdose was caused due to a variety of medications.

They say Petty suffered from emphysema, a fractured hip and knee problems that caused him pain but he was still committed to touring.

He had just wrapped up a tour a few days before he died in October at age 66.

ADVERTISEMENT

Comments on: Family: Tom Petty died of accidental drug overdose

To report abuse or misuse of this area please hit the "Suggest Removal" link in the comment to alert our online managers. Read our Terms of Use policy.

Subscribe Register Login

You must login to make comments.

ADVERTISEMENT

SHOPPING

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Picks - Mobile App
Arkansas Online