Check out the redesigned ADG Explore

Today's Paper Latest stories Obits Email newsletters Weather Traffic New ADG site Bridge collapse Puzzles + games
story.lead_photo.caption The Pulaski County sheriff's office responds Friday, Jan. 19, 2018, to a shooting at Fairfax Crossing Apartments, 5900 McCain Park Place.

A woman has died after she and her 5-year-old daughter were shot by a masked gunman at a Pulaski County apartment complex Friday morning, authorities said.

The Pulaski County sheriff’s office was called around 6:30 a.m. in reference to a shooting at Fairfax Crossing Apartments, 5900 McCain Park Place. That address is just outside North Little Rock's city limits.

April N. Harris, 30, of North Little Rock and four children were outside an apartment building when they were approached by someone in a ski mask and black clothing, agency spokesman Lt. Cody Burk said in a statement.

While walking to her car, Harris and the 5-year-old daughter she was carrying were shot, Burk said.

Harris' other children — a 9-year-old and 10-year-old twins — were not reported injured and fled the area at the time of the shooting, according to the sheriff's office.

Burk said both victims were transported to a nearby hospital for treatment. Harris was pronounced dead later in the morning at UAMS Medical Center in Little Rock, and the 5-year-old was said to be in stable condition shortly before 10:30 a.m.

The shooter reportedly ran south from the apartment complex. A physical description was not immediately available.

In September, 29-year-old James Ward of Jacksonville was fatally shot at the same apartment complex, then known as Chapel Ridge Apartments, during an apparent carjacking. Four men each face a capital murder charge in his killing.

Read Saturday's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette for full details.

More headlines

Comments

• LR1955
    January 19, 2018 at 11:16 a.m.

The low life animal that killed the mother & injured one of her children needs to be caught & convicted ASAP. No dealing, either life w/ out parole or the death sentence. Same for the 4 others from Sept.

• ketchupmustard
    January 19, 2018 at 11:39 a.m.

$5 says that when he's caught, he's already on probation or parole -- or has been.

• Dontsufferfools
    January 19, 2018 at 11:51 a.m.

I hope he's also an illegal immigrant, so everyone's preconceived biases can be affirmed.

• JustMe1954
    January 19, 2018 at 1 p.m.

Awwww, did my post (which was deleted) hurt someones wittle bitty feelings? Well again, I bet the shooter was a black thug.

• GeneralMac
    January 19, 2018 at 1:27 p.m.

JustMe............I doubt you lose many bets.

Seems you bet on sure things.

• Packman
    January 19, 2018 at 2:10 p.m.

Where's these kids father? We're all these kids born out of wedlock? Why? Why? Why?

• ZeebronZ
    January 19, 2018 at 2:16 p.m.

I'm beginning to think he Dark Forces are winning. No rhyme nor reason, just evil for evil's sake. God helps us all.

• Charlie755
    January 19, 2018 at 2:31 p.m.

I'm making over 8k dollar a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. Rread more on this website about work. Good luck. This is what I do.. w­w­w.T­a­g­3­0.c­o­m

• Risingsun
    January 19, 2018 at 3:02 p.m.

It's been years since I lived in Little Rock, there's nothing like the good feeling of knowing that I left all the bigots behind. There's more in life to do besides coming on Arkansas online and making a bunch of bigoted remarks. Go find a life for goodness sakes!

• Ceciloveme
    January 19, 2018 at 3:05 p.m.

Packman. Who cares if they was born out if wedlock or not. As long as she takes care of her children it would not matter. But she will be miss her at the job.