Subscribe Register Login
Saturday, February 24, 2018, 2:16 p.m.

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Picks - Mobile App

Judge recuses from Little Rock's suit against mayoral candidates, ethics panel

By Chelsea Boozer

This article was published January 23, 2018 at 2:35 p.m.

from-left-frank-scott-jr-and-warwick-sabin

From left, Frank Scott Jr. and Warwick Sabin

Use the form below to sign up for any or all of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's free newsletters:


Pulaski County Circuit Judge Chris Piazza has recused from the city of Little Rock’s lawsuit against the Arkansas Ethics Commission and mayor contenders Warwick Sabin and Frank Scott Jr.

A law clerk in his office said Tuesday that he doesn’t give the reason why he recuses from cases.

The case has been reassigned to Judge Tim Fox.

The city is seeking a declaratory judgment on whether the Arkansas Ethics Commission must consider a city campaign rule that limits the start of campaign fundraising to the June before a November election.

The commission opines only on state law, but City Attorney Tom Carpenter says it is a state law that gives Little Rock the ability to restrict the timeline to raise funds for a campaign.

The lawsuit also asks the judge to instruct the commission to sanction anyone in violation of the local ordinance. Both Sabin and Scott began raising money through their exploratory committees last year. That money will transfer to the candidates once they formally file to run for office.

Read Wednesday’s Arkansas Democrat-Gazette for full details.

ADVERTISEMENT

Comments on: Judge recuses from Little Rock's suit against mayoral candidates, ethics panel

To report abuse or misuse of this area please hit the "Suggest Removal" link in the comment to alert our online managers. Read our Terms of Use policy.

Subscribe Register Login

You must login to make comments.

Displaying 1 - 8 of 8 total comments

HarleyOwner says... January 23, 2018 at 4:10 p.m.

A total waste of taxpayers money

( | suggest removal )

ZeebronZ says... January 23, 2018 at 5:02 p.m.

And the machine rolls on. Any doubt there's lots of skeleton in lots of closets?

( | suggest removal )

drs01 says... January 23, 2018 at 5:43 p.m.

Playing by the same rules is what this is all about. Regardless of who you support, that is being fair. But then, there is nothing fair in politics today....only in love and war.

( | suggest removal )

PopulistMom says... January 23, 2018 at 5:53 p.m.

Any state law or city rule which so restricts the ability of people to campaign for office surely must violate the First and Fourteenth Amendments of the US. Constitution. Stodola and Carpenter are trying to run Little Rock as a little dictatorship.

( | suggest removal )

LR1955 says... January 23, 2018 at 5:55 p.m.

This lawsuit is enough to push even more voters to a “vote incumbents out” way of thinking.

( | suggest removal )

NoUserName says... January 23, 2018 at 7:34 p.m.

"Playing by the same rules is what this is all about."
.
It's not, but thanks anyway. Stodola is permitted to use carry over funds.

( | suggest removal )

WowJustWow2017 says... January 24, 2018 at 9:42 a.m.

Did Stodola have an exploratory committee when he ran for the office not as an incumbent?

( | suggest removal )

bosoxfan says... January 26, 2018 at 8:24 a.m.

If you've kept up with this - those candidates got approval from the state to form those committees and raise those funds. They did nothing wrong. The sooner Stodola is out of office the better - crime has skyrocketed under his watch. All he cares about is the River Market and WLR - to heck with the rest of the city.

( | suggest removal )

  • page
  • 1
Click here to make a comment

To report abuse or misuse of this area please hit the "Suggest Removal" link in the comment to alert our online managers. Read our Terms of Use policy.

ADVERTISEMENT

SHOPPING

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Picks - Mobile App
Arkansas Online