Today's Paper Search In the news Latest Traffic #Gazette200 Listen Digital replica FAQ Weather Newsletters Obits Puzzles + Games Archive

A shooting at an outdoor wedding ended in chaos as a man sped off to find help for the three victims loaded into the back of his pickup.

Arriving Pope County sheriff's deputies found a woman lying in the truck's bed with a gunshot wound to the head. A man next to her had blood pumping down over his body from a wound his neck. Another man sat in the back, suffering from a chest wound.

As deputies got to Piney Creek, they found another woman with a gunshot wound to the wrist, according to their initial reports.

But now, three days after the shooting, the chief prosecutor said that trying to piece together what went wrong Saturday remained difficult. There were reports that the suspect's dog and the wedding couple's dog got into a fight, and it escalated from there.

"There's a lot of people with a lot of different perspectives," Prosecutor David Gibbons said. "It's difficult to say what caused it."

Police arrested Patrick Paul Duvall, 29, of Russellville, in a restaurant parking lot shortly after the shootings. Duvall will go before a Pope County judge Wednesday for a bond hearing.

The bride and groom are recovering in a Little Rock hospital, while the two others shot were still at a Russellville hospital.

The Pope County public defender's office said Tuesday they would find out at the court hearing whether they'd be assigned to Duvall's case. Gibbons said he did not know whether Duvall had spoken to a lawyer since his arrest. A phone number for Duvall listed on a police report was disconnected.

Police have said about 50 people attended the wedding along the creek, known in the community as a good place to picnic or swim on a hot day. Duvall apparently opened fire without knowing the bride or groom, both of whom suffered gunshot wounds during the attack.

A police mugshot of Duvall after his arrest showed he had a split lip and what appeared to be a puffy, bruised face. When asked about Duvall's injuries, Gibbons said "there are a lot of folks being investigated" for their role in the melee.

Gibbons declined to name those injured in the attack, saying those identities remain part of the investigation.

Duvall faces four counts of first-degree felony battery, which each carries a maximum prison sentence of 20 years and a $15,000 fine. Duvall also faces a felony vehicle-theft charge.


Sponsor Content