Today's Paper Search Latest App In the news Traffic #Gazette200 Drivetime Mahatma Listen Digital FAQ Weather Newsletters Obits Puzzles/Games Archive

— Ozark Police Chief Jim Noggle said age is not a factor in determining when his officers use a Taser on someone.

Noggle said Tuesday that officer Dustin Bradshaw used his Taser last week on a 10-year-old girl who was kicking and combative with Bradshaw after her mother called police.

According to a report filed by Bradshaw on Nov. 12, the officer was called to an Ozark home for a domestic problem. The girl was on the floor of the house screaming and crying. She refused to follow her mother’s instructions and the mother told Bradshaw to use his Taser.

Bradshaw carried the girl to the living room and told her she was going to jail, according to the report.

“While she was violently kicking and verbally combative, [the girl] struck me with her legs and feet in the groin,” Bradshaw wrote in the report.

“The subject was actively resisting arrest at this time,” Bradshaw wrote. “I was having a difficult time placing the cuffs on her and administered a very, very brief drive stun to her back with my Taser. She immediately resisted and was placed in handcuffs.”

The girl would not walk on her own so Bradshaw carried her to his police car.

She was taken to the Western Arkansas Youth Shelter in Cecil.

The girl’s father has been in contact with police, Noggle said, and he is upset the officer used a Taser.

Read tomorrow's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette for full details.

Thank you for coming to the Web site of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. We're working to keep you informed with the latest breaking news.

• ssgwmtms
    November 17, 2009 at 1:09 p.m.

If she deserved it by golly let her have it.
    If she would have done as told to by the officer, it would not have happened. Plus he didn't do a full blown tase on the girl.

• lyonap
    November 17, 2009 at 2:50 p.m.

Our system is so corrupt. I can't believe that in this day and age, you really have to worry about discipline with the kids. I can already see a lawsuit starting with the dad here. I honestly don't think that the taser should have been used, it never should have gotten that far. The mom should've had this under control without getting the police involved. The girl is only 10 years old. I believe in an old-fashioned way of discipline (I checked into it, DHS can't do anything to you for spanking your children). Granted I also feel strongly against child abuse, but that mother should have taked that child over her knee and spanked until her hand hurt, and if the girl was still screaming spank some more. Look if you look at the way the US was 50 years ago to the way it is today, it will seem very clear to you that discipline is where this country went wrong. What happened to children having respect for their elders? What happened to the manners? What happened was we as a society stopped disciplining our children. Children these days are virtually running the streets, why? They should be at home doing their homework and their chores. Good Lord I could go on all day about this...

• Momster
    November 17, 2009 at 4:40 p.m.

My god. If a police office can't handle a little girl without using a taser, what's he going to do when he has to deal with an actual criminal? This guy needs to seriously rethink his career choice.

• Sir_Golfsalot
    November 18, 2009 at 8:13 a.m.

Well, let's see.....he could have put her in a head lock, or maybe a choke hold, or how about a rap across the head with his baton? Naw, all of those would have gotten him in hot water for use of excessive force on a child.

Face it folks, when someone gets violent (and believe it or not, a kick in the groin is violent even from a 10 year old) the officer has to make a hasty decision on how to subdue them and get them under control in the shortest amount of time with the proper technique that will do the least amount of damage.

While it may sound terrible to some of you, short of the girl calming down on her own (which apparently wasn't likely) the taser on a short burst was probably the best option available to him at the time.

• BostonPhil
    November 18, 2009 at 2:58 p.m.

Sure age wasn't a factor. It was the rather embarrassingly poor mental and emotional capacity of the porcine punks you hillbillies employ. Well, at least you gun toting crackpots didn't kill her. Guess she IS too young for that.

• Sincerely
    November 18, 2009 at 4:20 p.m.

This is one of the saddest thing I've ever seen -- not the unbelievably cruel and immature actions of the mother and the police officer, but the unbelievably cruel attitudes of the people who endorse such meanness. I am a very small women, yet I never had to use deadly force to control little children (or children of any size, for that matter. (... and yes, it has proven to be deadly force according to the result of a recent autopsy and medical examiner's conclusion in Fort Worth, Texas.)

I realize I'm "casting my pearls before swine" in that the kind of person who feels this is acceptable is also the kind that feels that a child "kicking and screaming" should receive the DEATH PENALTY or execution, decided upon and administered by an employee of the local police department, as the price to pay for failing to obey (if the act had indeed resulted in death).

Remember, though, God is watching you!