Today's Paper Search Latest stories Traffic Legislature Drivetime Mahatma Newsletters Most commented Obits Weather Puzzles + Games

State Treasurer Martha Shoffner maintained Tuesday that she deserves a taxfree vehicle provided by the state and doubts that the Internal Revenue Service would bother auditing her.

Document

McDaniel's statement on use of state vehicle

View

This story is only available from the Arkansas Online archives. Stories can be purchased individually for $2.95. Click here to search for this story in the archives.

Front Section, Pages 1 on 07/14/2010

Print Headline: Shoffner: Deserve tax-free state ride

Comments

• astrogirl
    July 14, 2010 at 8:03 a.m.

Please don't give Repulicans one more thing to complain about - just step up and say - other people don't get company cars, what makes me any better than them - give up the perk and turn the car in - That is what a good Newport Democrat should do!

• roadkill
    July 14, 2010 at 8:27 a.m.

Good for you Martha. All the other stuff is political hogwash.

• Walter
    July 14, 2010 at 9:37 a.m.

I guess Ms. Shoffner is another "Entitlement Democrat" who wants to keep ALL of her state pay for herself.
    This is why our country is sliding down the mountain so fast.
    She should be proud the state pays for her transportation, we "common folks" have to pay for our own.

• lazybar
    July 14, 2010 at 10:13 a.m.

the only reason any of them have started to do this is to buy votes.i have no problem with the state providing transportation but all perks including fuel should be noted and taxed as income.i do have a problem with the furnished cars being loaded gas drinkers,like a tahoe.

• dman
    July 14, 2010 at 11:09 a.m.

So Ms Shoffner "deserves" to use her state vehicle for personal use without counting that use as income? Let's make sure she needs another job the next time she asks to be elected. This was not political - state officers were asked by the ADG if they paid taxes on personal use. Any of us could have asked. We're tired of state employees' sense of entitlement. So we have to pay for them to drive to work and back. Fine--bad enough. But I don't want to pay for them to go to the grocery store on the weekend, or for their weekend getaways and summer vacations.

• CarpeNoctis
    July 14, 2010 at 12:06 p.m.

Why is it that Democrats always cave in to Republicans? Did Huckabee's constitutional officers get a vehicle, were they taxed for personal use? Why now, why this? Who really gives a flying rat's ass if a duly elected official in the state of Ark gets a vehicle. It's probably the only perk they get. What needs to happen is to change the tax rates like the 1960s and make the Walton's pay their fair share of taxes, which back then was 70% over $3 MILLION in income. Up the rate on all the corporate welfare kings and queens, then we wouldn't even have to read about crap like this. Ark. roads wouldn't look so sorry and pathetic if we had a fair tax rate. But noooo, the drunk Alice Walton and her family makes sure that will never happen, only little people pay taxes.

• DownHilRacer
    July 14, 2010 at 12:16 p.m.

JUST LIKE I HAVE ALREADY SAID SOME PEOPLE IN OUR STATE GOV. THINK WE OWE THEM A FREE RIDE ! AT OUR TAX DOLLAR ! SHOFFNER YOU CAN CATCH A BUS FOR ALL I CARE !I WISH LOCAL GOV. WOULD DISCLOSE HOW MUCH WE SPEND ON GAS ALONE FOR OUR LOCAL POLICE CITY WORKERS AND PEOPLE IN STATE OFFICES TO DRIVE AROUND AFTER HOURS ON MY TAX DOLLAR!!!SHOFFNER THE FREE RIDE IS OVER! HER ATTITUDE IS PART OF THE REASON OUR GOVERNMENT IS SO MESSED UP.KEEPING A LOG IS EASY ,IS SHE SO CHEAP SHE WANTS ME TO PAY FOR HER RIDE TO HER A/A MEETINGS. HELL WHEN I STARTED DRIVING MY DAD TOLD ME NO FREE RIDE GAS-OIL-AND TIRES-INSURANCE ALL COST MONEY I GOT A JOB WORKED HARD TOOK CARE OF MY RIDE !

• ArkansasHawk
    July 14, 2010 at 12:36 p.m.

I have come to the conclusion that the State Treasure is an idiot. And I am a Democrate! I will never vote for her, for anything again. Not only does she degrade the brave men of women of the Arkansas State Police, she violates the law regarding her refusal to pay taxes on her personal use of her government vehicle.

I wish the IRS would investigate her and audit her. In fact, I would like to see her impeached. That is what is wrong with certain government officials, they get elected and they think they are above the laws.

You Madam Treasurer are not about the law. Please IRS audit her!

• oldteacher
    July 14, 2010 at 1:06 p.m.

Why does she or anyone else deserve to drive someone elses vehicle to and from work or anywhere else?? I taught school for years. It was a difficult job, and I am sure my salary never matched hers. I had to purchase my own vehicles (which were few and far between), and keep them maintained, sometimes during my 30 to 45 minute lunch period. What is wrong with people these days?? Why do they all deserve so much??

• alphonzo
    July 14, 2010 at 7:40 p.m.

Why does someone who works for me-us-taxpayers have reserved parking closest to the front door of, say, the city building. We pay for those vehicles, the building, clothing, and we pay their salaries. We should be able park close. Businesses where we shop let us have the closest parking spots. Community, state, and government equipment, paid for by taxpayers, should be used for community, state, and government business only. Getting back and forth to work in some circumstances is understandable. Otherwise it is everyones personal responsibility. Take home a pad of post-it's from work... get fired. Entitlements of elected officials needs to be seriously restructured at every level.