Today's Paper Search Latest Core values App Traffic #Gazette200 Listen Story ideas iPad FAQ Weather Newsletters Obits Puzzles Archive

— A man suspected of shooting his ex-girlfriend later fired at officers while leading authorities on a chase that ended with him fatally shot, police said.

Authorities are working to figure out whether 50-year-old Raymond Boettcher shot himself or was killed when an Arkansas State Police trooper opened fire.

It started about 1 a.m. Wednesday when Boettcher shot 32-year-old Laura Krencius once in the chest at her southwest Little Rock residence, 8511 Dreher Lane, Little Rock Police Department spokesman Officer Michelle Hill said.

Krencius was taken to UAMS Medical Center, where she was initially listed in serious condition. A hospital spokesman had no information on Krencius' condition later Wednesday morning.

Her roommate reportedly awakened to find Krencius suffering from the wound and Boettcher running from the house. Troopers then located his car a short time later on Interstate 30 near Baseline Road and tried to pull it over, state police spokesman Bill Sadler said in a statement.

Authorities say Boettcher refused to stop and instead fled on I-430 to Interstate 40 toward Conway. At some point during the chase, Boettcher fired at pursuing officers, though no one was hit.

Boettcher's vehicle was disabled by spike strips set up on I-40 in Conway County.

As he moved the vehicle off the highway, Arkansas State Trooper Kenneth Cartwright opened fire. But it remains unclear whether that was the fatal shot.

"An examination by the State Crime Laboratory of Boettcher's body will determine whether Boettcher died as the result of a self-inflicted gun shot wound," Sadler wrote in the statement.

Cartwright has been placed on administrative leave pending a review of the shooting and the pursuit.

Hill said it was unclear why Boettcher initially shot Krencius.

• chuck62
    June 23, 2010 at 8:24 a.m.

Thanks to him for saving us the expense, drama and inconvenience of prosecuting and incarcerating him. Hopefully, his ex will be okay and no longer have to fear him.

• Murphy01
    June 23, 2010 at 8:33 a.m.

Exactly

• Ducksung
    June 23, 2010 at 8:40 a.m.

I-30 and Stagecoach Rd do not intersect. Could that possibly be I-430?

• jlreinhart
    June 23, 2010 at 8:48 a.m.

DSAF (Did Society A Favor) Too bad he couldn't have shot himself 1st ...

• Workingpayingtaxes
    June 23, 2010 at 10:57 a.m.

Self correcting error. My favorite kind because the Arkansas taxpayer doesn't have to spend a ton of money on him.

• nml85
    June 26, 2010 at 1:43 a.m.

Part 2
    Scott Boettcher had an extremely disturbing childhood that undoubtedly caused him to be mentally unstable. Despite that, to anyone who actually knew him, he was an extremely loving, caring, intelligent man who would take in any stray off the street, but unlike Laura, wouldn't punch them or abuse them when they misbehaved. And yeah, while Laura may give you the shirt off her back, while she's handing it to you, watch your purse and check if your wallet is still there.
    Before Scott went off the deep end, he did so many good things to help anyone in need. I just graduated college, have an awesome job, a beautiful new house, and am getting married next month (ironically to a police officer), and I owe a lot of it to Scott. He helped me with school, made me listen to my mother when I was a rebellious teenager, and encouraged me to do something good with my life, and to help others.
    Scott is dead, which is obviously for the best, since he was far too troubled to stay in this world for long. As for Laura, obviously she didn't deserve to be shot, hopefully she takes this experience and learns from it; you can't spend your life manipulating others to get what you want, because it will backfire on you, literally in this case.
    I am 100% about personal responsibility, and Scott should have gone to prison for what he did. Instead, if the autopsy report indicates suicide, he took matters into his own hands and saved the state a little time and money. If it was the Trooper's bullet that killed him, I pray for him and his family and am so sorry that he was put in that horrible position. Regardless, the only real victims here are the poor law enforcement officers that had to get involved in the middle of Scott and Laura's drama.

• nml85
    June 26, 2010 at 1:44 a.m.

Part 1
    To anyone who didn't know him personally, I'm sure this guy looks like a total nutjob. Since I've known him my entire life, and since he obviously can't explain his side (not that it even matters), I figured I might elaborate on this story a little. I typically refuse to comment on any news story online, and I haven't the slightest expectation of changing anyones opinions, but it's cathartic for me in this instance, so why not...
    Raymond "Scott" Boettcher (pronounced "betcher" not "bow-etcher", but not that it really matters to a dead man!) was definitely no angel, but neither is Laura; she's just really good at playing the victim. In all actuality, she's a lying, cheating, manipulative whore, who is just as much to blame for this inane calamity as he is. Too harsh? Honesty hurts.
    What should she expect after nearly ten years ago she started playing with his head, flirting with him--knowing at the time that he was a married man and twice her age. It obviously didn't help that he was all sorts of messed up in the head, but he was doing well for himself, had a good job and was off drugs. Then Laura came into the picture.
    Apparently, being fat and lazy is enough to get government welfare in Missouri, so after getting rid of Scott's wife of twenty years, she moved in, plopped down on the couch and proceeded to eat all day and spend all of their money. But even that wasn't enough, because he was still spending too much time with his family...so what else would Laura do but make him cut all ties (seriously, she screened his calls and wouldn't let him talk to anyone) and convince him to move to another state. She played with his head over and over and over, and what a surprise, he started doing drugs again.
    Does all this give him the right to shoot her? Of course not, but if you really knew Laura, you probably wouldn't completely blame him. I deal with women like her on a day-to-day basis. They act so innocent and helpless, but know all the right buttons to push, then want to call the police or their friends and be the victim to get all the pity. There are men and women out there that are genuine victims of domestic violence and truly need help, and then you've got twice as many out there crying wolf. Anyone in law enforcement knows exactly what I'm talking about.