Today's Paper Latest stories Obits Newsletters Traffic Weather Puzzles/games
story.lead_photo.caption Two sites at the Albert Pike Recreation Area damaged during deadly flash flooding in June will reopen Friday for use during the day. - Photo by AP / RICHARD RASMUSSEN

— Another wrongful-death lawsuit has been filed against the U.S. Forest Service over flash flooding at the Albert Pike campground that killed 20 people in 2010.

The suit was filed last week by Gay Cunningham Moss and Swan Moss III. Their daughter, 7-year-old Gayble Moss, died in the flooding. Gayble had been camping with her friend, Kylee Sullivan, and Kylee’s family at the Albert Pike campground in June 2010.

Kylee and her grandmother also died in the floods.

The Texarkana Gazette reports that the lawsuit accuses the government of negligence, claiming the U.S. Forest Service did not adequately warn campers of the flood danger at the campground.

The Forest Service said it had not yet been served with a copy of the complaint.

Document

Albert Pike flood lawsuit

View
Twenty lives were lost in the flood at Albert Pike recreation area.

PART 3: Albert Pike flood victim tribute

Video available Watch Video
Gallery: Albert Pike Flooding - June 15, 2010

Comments

• amberjack
    April 4, 2012 at 8:14 a.m.

What a bunch of morons to camp by a river with heavy rains predicted, now want to sue for some easy money, they just need to get a job and work for a living.

• wolfman
    April 4, 2012 at 10:13 a.m.

folks just want some easy money it seems. How ignorant to be camping during severe storms and the knowing the possibility of flooding. come on folks start educating yourselves and stop relying on others. with numerous weather sources out there no one has any excuse of not knowing what the weather forecast is!

• VoteRepublican
    April 4, 2012 at 12:11 p.m.

i presume the both of you have never dealt with such a tragic event in your lives to loose a loved one that hasnt even begun Jr high much less the 3rd grade. People trust people espically one of authority...neither of you know if one or more asked as they set up camp if the rain would effect the camp grounds...much less keep the camp site open when heavy rain was coming. So you can easliy point the finger at the person that is setting up camp as you should...it is their own responsibility, but if the camp grounds knew so well about the rain themselves then why did they allow the site to remain open? No I dont think sueing for everything is the right thing to do, but if you are ever invovled with a traggedy like this then you would underestadn a person can react in angerily ways.

• TheBatt
    April 4, 2012 at 12:32 p.m.

I won't go as far as to call the campers "morons", but on the other hand - camp in low areas near a river or stream in havy rains, logic does say that flooding is possible.

I have sympathy for those who lost loved ones, but suing the Corps (taxpayers) isn't going to bring them back.

• NONSHEEPLE
    April 4, 2012 at 12:59 p.m.

What happened was horribly tragic and hopfully will lead to people being aware of their surroundings.

• tsims87
    June 6, 2012 at 11:11 p.m.

I was there that night..I luckily got out alive. You people who call us morons are the stupid ones. I guess you've never been there and witnessed the beauty and environment. EVERYONE RELIED (as much as anyone could) ON EVERYONE..that's how it was and wanted. Plus just so you know storm radios rarely, if ever, pick up there and the tower that would alert such a tragic storm had been down for about 2 years. I've been there every year since I was 6 months old(at least 7 to 10 times a year)...now I'm 25 and seeing what people say and typing this makes me cry like a baby. What happened that night no one could EVER understand unless you were there. Women lost their husbands and children..Children not only lost their grandparents, they lost their parents! People that were lucky to get to higher ground (in the middle of the night) and survive still have to hear the screams for help, tree limbs and glass breaking, and car alarms going off in their head..especially around this time of the year. Honestly, I don't think anyone suffering from this wants money..they want CLOSURE. Something that will be almost impossible to have. God had a greater plan that night. Yet, I still don't understand it and probably nor do the families that lost loved ones, but I still have faith that it will be known one day.
    Y'all can talk as bad as y'all want about me as long as y'all leave the families of the deceased alone. Like I said NO ONE will ever truly comprehend this awful, awful tragedy unless YOU were there.