Today's Paper Latest stories Obits Newsletters Traffic Weather Puzzles/games

— Arkansas House lawmakers are set to vote on a plan to permit concealed handguns in churches and other houses of worship.

The House will vote Monday on a measure that would leave it up to individual places of worship to decide whether to allow concealed handguns and who could carry them.

The measure already cleared the Senate last week by a 28-4 vote.

House Speaker Davy Carter says he supports the bill and expects it will pass the Republican-controlled chamber.

If the House approves the legislation, it will head back to the Senate for a vote to approve the addition of new sponsors to the bill before going to the governor’s desk. Democratic Gov. Mike Beebe has indicated he will likely sign it.

Comments

• LETSBEREALISTIC
    February 4, 2013 at 8:06 a.m.

A smart move by the Legislature, Concealed Carry will be a deterrent to anyone thinking churches are easy targets.

• Jackabbott
    February 4, 2013 at 8:24 a.m.

This will be another black eye for Arkansas in the nation and amongst foregn countries. Kiss some more tourist dollars down the drain and replace it with money going to insurance companies fattening their premiums.
    A fine set of priotities for these guys. Trying to fix a problem that does not exist.
    Next the perverst want to authorize searches of women and then subsidize the poor ole Koch Brothers.

• rainbowharold55
    February 4, 2013 at 8:45 a.m.

Terrible bill. The very idea of having to post signs on a church that firearms are not permitted. Just like a saloon.

• PaulRevere
    February 4, 2013 at 8:56 a.m.

The law simply removes churches from the list of places where someone with a concealed carry permit cannot legally carry a firearm. Churches will now be able to determine that for themselves. Even Governor Beebe finds it reasonable, and has indicated he will sign it.
    As for Arkansas getting a black eye... from where? Red China, Iran, Chicago and New York?

• PenLR
    February 4, 2013 at 9:27 a.m.

Get the government out of our churches and keep them out.

• FreeSpiritMan
    February 4, 2013 at 9:52 a.m.

Why do you right wingers think that Concealed Carry will deter a nut case that doesn't care if they die or not, most want to go out in a blaze of glory anyway. Since they know they may run into someone with CC, they will make sure they have a Bushmaster with 30 round clips to kill as many as they can before going home in a blaze of lead.

• PaulRevere
    February 4, 2013 at 10:29 a.m.

If, God forbid, I am ever in a situation where an armed nutcase is coming my direction, whether I am a teacher, janitor or visitor to a school... I hope that I have my firearm with me. I may not be successful in stopping the guy from killing me or someone else, but better that than I just hide and hope he doesn't see me.

• outinthesticks
    February 4, 2013 at 11:32 a.m.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you will probably never need one again. What, are some of you afraid someone is going to get upset at the sermon and shoot the pastor? If they are that deranged, I don't think any law will make a difference to them anyway. I personally do not intend to pack a weapon to church, but it won't hurt my feelings if some of the congregation do.

BillSmith, what do you have against someone who would defend himself? Do you have a problem with someone who might actually minimize the carnage? Someone who might actually kill a nutcase before he kills someone else? Whose side are you really on?

• NSTEHLE
    February 4, 2013 at 11:51 a.m.

This bill does not remove churches from the prohibited places list. By default, churches remain gun free zones. No signs need to be posted, contrary to lies being spread by this bill's opponents.

It simply allows churches the option to allow concealed carry, whereas before there was no process to allow for that.

• NSTEHLE
    February 4, 2013 at 11:52 a.m.

By the way, 40 other states allow church carry. We are behind the times.