Today's Paper Latest stories Wally Hall Lotto odds simulator Most commented Obits Traffic Newsletters Weather Puzzles + games

— An Arkansas House panel has advanced a proposal to make secret the list of 130,000 residents permitted to carry concealed weapons.

The House Judiciary Committee on Thursday approved the measure to exempt the concealed carry permit list from Arkansas’ Freedom of Information Act.

The measure now heads to the House for a full vote.

It faces opposition from Gov. Mike Beebe and news organizations who say it undermines a 2009 compromise lawmakers approved to restrict access to some — but not all — information about the permits.

Current law allows the state to release only the names and ZIP codes of permit holders.

Comments

• NONSHEEPLE
    February 14, 2013 at 12:53 p.m.

I guess someone could map out the "armed" houses then rob the rest of the homes thinking they would be easier targets.

• PaulRevere
    February 14, 2013 at 1:12 p.m.

If this fails, I will submit numerous FOI requests for license plate owners, particularly those with specialty plates of the type I don't agree with. The state has no more business releasing names of CCW holders than they do releasing income tax info.

• Jackabbott
    February 14, 2013 at 1:39 p.m.

What are these people hiding or trying to hide?? Restricting access to government records is bad business and anti-democratic.

• FreeSpiritMan
    February 14, 2013 at 1:40 p.m.

jobs,jobs,jobs did I hear this was the number one problem as put forth by the GOP during the campaigns? I must have been mistaken I will do a little research and get back with the wing nuts on this issue.

• Dontsufferfools
    February 14, 2013 at 2 p.m.

So sheeple, are you assuming that addresses not on the concealed-carry list don't have weapons?

• Jfish
    February 14, 2013 at 3:06 p.m.

The key words here are " it undermines a 2009 compromise lawmakers approved to restrict access to some — but not all — information about the permits." This has been hashed out before and the current law seems to be rational. I would have to agree with BS, there are many more higher priorities. Also, Beebe is usually the voice of reason.

• lazybar
    February 14, 2013 at 4:21 p.m.

when you have people like john brummett working for the media and you have media that publishes information such as this then we need this bill.you are bashing the house about jobs jobs jobs but when there was a big job announcement 2 weeks ago you started bashing that.

• DontDrinkDatKoolAid
    February 14, 2013 at 6:59 p.m.

Let me see here ... Oh here I found it, 2013.