Today's Paper Latest Elections Coronavirus 🔵 Covid Classroom Cooking Families Core values Story ideas iPad Weather Newsletters Obits Puzzles Archive

President Barack Obama wants the nation to engage in community-based conversations about race. That sounds like my 1990s.

This story is only available from the Arkansas Online archives. Stories can be purchased individually for $2.95. Click here to search for this story in the archives.

Editorial, Pages 11 on 07/23/2013

Print Headline: Conversation worth having

• NoUserName
    July 23, 2013 at 8:29 a.m.

And where do YOU live, John? Turning Zimmerman/Martin into a racial event already poisoned the conversation.

• johnnyray1004sbcglobalnet
    July 23, 2013 at 10:42 a.m.

Central little rock.

• Jazzfan50
    July 23, 2013 at 11:33 a.m.

Thanks for this piece today. I wish there was a way to share this with non-subscribers. I tried the share via facebook link, but it requires a login to view it. But right on, brother.

• GoodMorningUncleSam
    July 23, 2013 at 11:56 a.m.

John please do not refer to Zimmerman as a "security cop". He is and was but a private citizen acting as a member of a community crime watch with no police powers or even those of a security guard. I can only image why you chose to refer to him as such. Fan the flames John, fan the flames.

• GrimReaper
    July 23, 2013 at 1:03 p.m.

The usual idiotic spin by Leftist Brummett. That "happy face" was just a sigh of relief that, through the courage of the jurors, Zimmerman escaped being strung up at the hand of a government lynch mob consumed with racial bigotry.

• DontDrinkDatKoolAid
    July 23, 2013 at 1:32 p.m.

John, I outed you as being discriminative sometime back. John you have no shame.

• 000
    July 23, 2013 at 2:09 p.m.

The US is not a racist country, John. We are, however, heavily biased against some cultures. Black, white, red, yellow and brown races have all been represented in the ghettos where thug culture thrives. Whites don't hate blacks; whites (and all the other races) hate thugs and leeches, no matter the race. The problem is not racism, John. The problem is a culture of thuggery at war with every other culture. America is a great and successful melting pot. All of us enjoy participation in the many and wide ranging cultural events (think Cinco de Mayo as a good example). None of us enjoy thug culture and we are all right in hating it.

• 000
    July 23, 2013 at 2:28 p.m.

"What is racism is a system, a generally permitted order of things, by which whites can and do flee en masse and blacks can’t get out and are left abandoned to streets of poverty and crime."
    ~
    What do you want, Johnny? Prohibit majority flight from the ever expanding thug ghettos and high taxes that feed the leeches? I've considered leaving Midtown because of the crime. I get tired of being robbed or vandalized every few months, but for now I will content myself with building even higher fences and installing even more security cameras. Is that any way to live, Johnny? Your definition of racism sucks.
    ~
    "If I had a city, it would look like Detroit", that's what he should of said.

• djigoo
    July 23, 2013 at 3:19 p.m.

Grim failed to use the term "useful idiot" in his post. No nickel for you, Raper!

• drs01
    July 23, 2013 at 3:20 p.m.

John B said:
    "It’s not racism that has an individual white person fleeing. At worst, that’s mere personal prejudice."

Ever heard the words: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness? I didn't realize that was a racist goal until I read your column. When are the roadblock being installed on I-40/ I-30??