Today's Paper Latest stories Obits John Brummett Wally Hall Traffic Newsletters Weather Puzzles

DEAR HELOISE: I will be traveling soon, but my driver’s license is expired. Can I still use it at the airport?

  • A Reader in Tennessee

DEAR READER: According to the Transportation Security Administration (tsa. gov), passengers must present a valid photo ID. If a driver’s license has expired, it is no longer valid. If passengers do not have this primary form of ID, they need at least two forms of alternative identification. Here are forms that may be accepted:

Social Security card

Birth certificate

Marriage license

Credit card

Each form of ID must contain the passenger’s name, and one of them also must include one of the following: birth date, address, photo, sex. If you have questions, contact the airport you will be traveling through to find out if your form of identification will be accepted.

DEAR HELOISE: Many people now have a GPS system in their car. It often asks for your home address as a starting location when giving directions. I didn’t feel safe doing that, considering if people stole my car, they easily could find out my home address. Instead, I entered the gas station that is at the entrance to my neighborhood. I easily can start directions from there and feel safe knowing that no one has my address.

  • A Reader in Pennsylvania

DEAR HELOISE: Being rather short, I’m not always able to read the small labels that I make with my labeling machine to put on my opaque, plastic file boxes. Some are fairly high up on my storage shelves. An idea came to me to use my computer to print the name of the item or items in large letters on white paper. I then cut the paper to fit and slip it inside the end of the box. The name is easily visible, and inexpensive to make and change whenever necessary.

  • Ellie M., Ventura, Calif.

DEAR HELOISE: It is very important after you get your pet a microchip to follow through and make sure it is registered. A friend works for a local shelter and has been very frustrated when animals come in with a microchip, but it has not been registered.

  • S.G. in Alabama

Send a money- or time-saving hint to Heloise, P.O. Box 795000, San Antonio, Texas 78279-5000; fax to (210) 435-6473; or email

MovieStyle, Pages 40 on 11/08/2013

Print Headline: HELPFUL HINTS

Sponsor Content


You must be signed in to post comments