Today's Paper Latest stories Obits Newsletters Weather Puzzles/games

A gun-rights group says it plans to hold an open-carry walk in North Little Rock this weekend.

Arkansas Carry said in a statement that members will walk at 11 a.m. Saturday from Schlotsky's Deli on JFK Boulevard to Cherry Hill Drive and then back again with their guns on display.

The group contends a law that went into effect last year allows the open carrying of firearms, although Attorney General Dustin McDaniel has contested that interpretation.

Several other similar walks have been held in other locations around the state.

Arkansas Carry said the North Little Rock Police Department was notified of the march, described in a statement as an "open carry celebration walk."

A police spokesman wasn't immediately available for comment.

Comments

• djigoo
    January 15, 2014 at 9:54 a.m.

Parade of the Cretins.

• NLRian
    January 15, 2014 at 11:42 a.m.

Parade of the Patriots who defend the 1st amendment rights for djigoo to call them cretins.

• Garycmillerlawgmailcom
    January 15, 2014 at 11:54 a.m.

Parade of "who cares".

• RaylanGivens
    January 15, 2014 at 12:01 p.m.

The way gooey is so quick to judge about guns makes me think he was fondling one at some point and it went off and left him brain dead. I really never realized liberals were so hateful until I started reading his comments on the DemGaz

• 000
    January 15, 2014 at 12:11 p.m.

This parade is the same as a gay pride parade, karmicly speaking.

• greenhorn
    January 15, 2014 at 1:27 p.m.

Hopefully no one will show up and it will receive little or no attention. Carry your gun wherever, I could care less. They should do this on Pike Avenue near West 17th instead and see what kind of feedback they get.

• djigoo
    January 15, 2014 at 1:37 p.m.

Uh, nope.

I'm good with guns. I grew up with guns, and was taught a healthy respect for them at a young age by my dad. I even helped him load his shells, during the brief time he thought loading his own was relaxing. (My best buddy and I absconded with more than a little gunpowder in those days...Many G.I. Joes and army men saw their melty demise due to our nefarious, pyrotechnic ways. Nobody died.) My oldest brother hunts duck, and I eagerly await FB posts of his hunts.

Here's what I DON'T like, however...
    Irresponsible organizations like the NRA who wield such power in DC that even broaching the TOPIC of reasonable gun control is off the table.

People who have such a visceral response to the mere words "gun control" and conflate that with "they're gonna take our guns away!" because organizations like the one listed above have successfully altered the meaning of words within the minds of their minions.

Paranoiacs who think this rally is really about constitutional rights.

And cilantro.

But guns? Used wisely, used well, and used with proper training? Great!

No possiblity for reasoned debate on the topic because it makes Uncle Wayne cry? Not so great.

• dumblikeme
    January 15, 2014 at 4:55 p.m.

Open carry in the country is one thing, but open carry where other people are easily within arms reach of your firearm seems a bit irresponsible to me.

• DontDrinkDatKoolAid
    January 15, 2014 at 5:08 p.m.

Yes, ... “Gun Control”, we just look back upon history and we can see how that has worked out.
    ~
    Our society has some the best liberties in the world. With these Liberties comes risk. I would much prefer to have my Liberties along with the risk.
    ~
    The Bill of Rights was penned for a real good reason. And there is no debate of why.

• Packman
    January 15, 2014 at 5:22 p.m.

Hats off to goo goo for actually posting something more than a catty, often incomprehensible remark. As to his first "Parade of the Cretins" post, the same could be said of his gay pride brethren during their parades.
    Back to goo goo's most recent post. NRA members have always supported reasonable gun control laws. Nobody wants crazy people to legally buy a gun. Nobody wants a minor to legally buy a gun. Nobody wants a convicted violent criminal to legally buy a gun. It's all about what is reasonable versus what is done purely for show that could lead to unintended (intended?) consequences where the only people that suffer the burden of control are law abiding citizens. Libs support gun control mostly for show, except for government control freaks like aimee who support incremental gun control laws with the ultimate goal of total confiscation.