Today's Paper Latest stories Most commented Drivetime Mahatma 🏈 HS scoreboard Obits Traffic Newsletters Weather Puzzles + games

LITTLE ROCK — A group supporting expanded alcohol sales in Arkansas has submitted more than 84,000 signatures in an effort to get its proposal on the November ballot.

Let Arkansas Decide turned in 84,969 signatures Monday to the secretary of state's office to put its proposed constitutional amendment on the ballot. The measure needs at least 78,133 signatures from registered voters to qualify.

Monday is the deadline for backers of proposed initiated acts and amendments to turn in petitions to qualify for the ballot. The alcohol measure would legalize alcohol sales in all 75 counties. Currently 35 Arkansas counties are dry.

The secretary of state's office will spend the next few days conducting an initial count of the signatures.

Comments

• arkateacher54_aol.com
    July 7, 2014 at 10:57 a.m.

Just what we need, expanded sales of alcohol. In the US 88,000 drink themselves to death every year, 10,000 killed in alcohol related car crashes (CDC statistics). We need greater restrictions on booze, not less.

• djigoo
    July 7, 2014 at 11:13 a.m.

Why do you hate freedom, arka?

I should have the right to buy booze when and where I choose.

Not sure why you think I shouldn't.

• Dontsufferfools
    July 7, 2014 at 11:38 a.m.

Wonder if Arkateacher feels the same way about guns. 10,000 people are killed by guns every year too.

• RBBrittain
    July 7, 2014 at 11:56 a.m.

Arkateacher, how many of those drunk drivers drove from dry counties to wet counties to buy alcohol? I don't drink, but I've lived here long enough to know Arkansas' liquor laws are extremely hypocritical. It's entirely possible the current system causes MORE drunk drivers because folks in dry counties must drive to wet counties (or even worse, to "private club" restaurants in places like Conway) to get their alcohol. Those kind of drives are MORE likely to result in drunk-driving accidents than a drive back from a neighborhood liquor store; yet dry counties stop ONLY the latter...

• TheBatt
    July 7, 2014 at noon

My biggest problem with this- it puts the decision for my county in the hands of a state-wide vote. There are enough voters in already wet counties to open dry counties to liquor sales.

How is that in any way fair?

If a county wants to be "dry", by a preponderance of voters in that county- what right to voters in other counties have to circumvent that?

Again, follow the money (with Walmart being one if the big supporters of this petition).

• Vickie55
    July 7, 2014 at 12:03 p.m.

Arka, I personally would much rather have someone buy their alcohol and drive the half mile to their home than to buy their alcohol and then drive, while drinking, the 30 miles back to their home. And we know from history just how well prohibition works. Of course, dry counties are bootleggers' dreams. Bigger problem - bootleggers don't bother with those pesky ID checks.

• FreeSpiritMan
    July 7, 2014 at 12:45 p.m.

I agree with RBBrittain, I have lived in three dry counties and I know this happens all the time. I drink when I want too, but it's between 4pm and 6pm on my deck and I am in for the night. But, I have to drive about 10 one way miles to the liquor store, but since it does not have a Baptist drive up window, I go in and see a few of the local pew sitters scurrying around to get their medicinal juices before heading out to their cars.

• NutButter
    July 7, 2014 at 1:33 p.m.

Alcohol doesn't kill people.
    People kill people.
    Get it?
    People have the right to buy guns.
    People have the tight to buy alcohol.
    I think it is that simple.

• carpenterretired
    July 7, 2014 at 1:34 p.m.

If evangelicals have their rapture that will leave Methodists and catholics behind and they can vote those dry counties wet.

• Vickie55
    July 7, 2014 at 1:41 p.m.

And us Methodists and Catholics will be perfectly happy.