Today's Paper Latest stories 🏈 High school scoreboard Obits Traffic Newsletters Weather Puzzles + games

A head-on collision in Little Rock left an 84-year-old man dead Wednesday, the Arkansas State Police said.

Amber Wells, 18, was driving a 2003 Pontiac east on Cantrell Road at Ranch Drive about 1:15 p.m. Wednesday when the car veered into the westbound lane, hitting head-on a 1999 Kia driven by Leroy Patterson, 84, of Roland, according to a preliminary state police accident report.

Patterson died at Baptist Health Medical Center as a result of his injuries about 4:40 p.m., authorities said.

Wells and a passenger were also injured, and Little Rock police officers cut the front doors off the Pontiac in order to extricate them, according to a Little Rock police vehicle accident report.

The two were taken to UAMS Medical Center, according to the report, but their conditions weren’t immediately available Thursday.

Wells told Little Rock officers that she was driving east on Cantrell when a sport utility vehicle traveling in the lane next to her entered her lane, so she swerved to avoid the SUV and hit the Kia, the Little Rock accident report states. A witness told police she had seen the SUV swerving in and out of traffic.

Patterson’s death marked the 134th on Arkansas roads so far this year, according to preliminary state police figures.

Comments

• Walter601
    May 22, 2014 at 8:53 a.m.

They should check the cell phone of the driver. I see people texting and driving all the time. True morons.

• RBBryant
    May 22, 2014 at 11:48 a.m.

Such a sad loss of life w/injuries suffered by this driver & her passanger due to the reckless driver in the SUV... I hope THAT driver can be found.

• FreeSpiritMan
    May 22, 2014 at 11:54 a.m.

harrison72601 ....... They have a witness that saw the suv weaving in and out and collaborates the girl's account.

• GoHogsGod1887
    May 22, 2014 at 2:01 p.m.

FreeSpiritMan: Still doesn't mean the stupid woman had to swerve ALL THE WAY into oncoming traffic! It's reckless driving on her part, and she needs to be punished for it. There's a safe way to handle these things, and she didn't do it.

• ArkNurse2014
    May 22, 2014 at 3:35 p.m.

RIP brother. I wish you didn't have to go in such a painful way. You were an inspiration in many peoples lives. You taught me about God and I am thankful He put such a wonderful person on this earth to spread his word. You were there for us at the most important times in our lives. We love you. May you find eternal glory and salvation wrapped in the arms of The Lord.

• Vickie55
    May 22, 2014 at 3:50 p.m.

GoHogs, it is great that you always know exactly what to do in emergency situations and never panic and always make the correct split-second decision. Unfortunately, us mere mortals sometimes are not able to think and react that quickly. I have no idea the circumstances of this particular accident but I do know that in such a situation one doesn't always have time to evaluate and choose the correct action.

• miniahha
    May 22, 2014 at 5:26 p.m.

It was an unfortunate accident. The teenager is just that... a teenager. She doesn't have the years of experience yet to better evaluate situations like this. When my daughter was 18 she totaled a car because of a spider. We all make mistakes, we learn from them and move on. I am sure she will be cited for wreckless driving and possibly cited for involuntary manslaughter. She will have to live the rest of her life knowing she accidentally killed someone. Truth is... it could happen to any of us.
    I hope the witness at least got a good look to ID the SUV that initiated the accident. That person should be held accountable as well.

• NoUserName
    May 22, 2014 at 7:45 p.m.

"I am sure she will be cited for wreckless driving and possibly cited for involuntary manslaughter."
    I'm not...and regardless, she shouldn't be charged if the facts reported are correct.
    " It's reckless driving on her part, and she needs to be punished for it."
    No, it isn't. And no she doesn't. Swerving to avoid a car coming in your lane is a natural reaction. And it is mitigating. As to the SUV driver, even if that driver were found, I doubt there would be anything in the statutes that the driver could be charged with.

• doesntmatter1
    May 28, 2014 at 9:56 a.m.

The police report I have read says the witness did NOT see any white suv swerving. the teenage driver crossed two lanes of traffic. very dramatic reckless driving. no doubt from the report I have seen that her and her passenger were distracted and had nothing to do with a white suv. I would like to see phone records also. I pray they both know that they are responsible for the man's death. If not charged with vehicular homicide, then sentenced to speak at high schools about safe driving for a couple of years, take driving classes, stand on corners with poster signs saying their unsafe driving killed someone's dad, brother, grandfather, uncle, friend, do something.