Today's Paper Search Latest stories Listen Traffic Legislature Newsletters Most commented Obits Weather Puzzles + Games
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
story.lead_photo.caption Federica Mogherini, the high representative of the European Union for foreign affairs, speaks to reporters after a security council meeting at United Nations headquarters, Monday, May 11, 2015. The European Union's top diplomat has assured the U.N. Security Council that under a proposed EU maritime operation against the growing wave of migrant smuggling, "no refugee or migrant intercepted at sea will be sent back against their will." - Photo by AP / SETH WENIG

UNITED NATIONS -- Refugees and other foreigners intercepted at sea will not "be sent back against their will," the European Union's top diplomat assured the U.N. Security Council on Monday, citing a proposed EU maritime operation against the growing wave of human smuggling from North Africa.

Federica Mogherini, the EU foreign affairs chief, addressed the council as the 28-member EU prepares to start making decisions next week on an operation to identify, capture and destroy boats before they are used by smugglers.

Stressing the urgency of the crisis as people continue to set off from the North African coast toward Europe, with many dying, Mogherini later said the EU is prepared to take certain steps before the council adopts any resolution authorizing the operation -- even as a draft was expected to circulate to all 15 council members within hours. She would not say what those steps are.

Concerns remained even among some council members that the foreigners themselves will be harmed, sent back or not be allowed to seek better lives. "No one is thinking of bombing," Mogherini said.

When asked about Russia, which has opposed destroying smugglers' boats, she said she had not found resistance from any council member. But she said a lot of work remains on the council draft resolution, even though she was "quite confident" about political will in the council for the two main goals: Saving lives and combating the traffickers, some of whom she said are "linked to, and sometimes finance, terrorist activities."

The U.N.'s special representative for international migration told the council that about half of the people who reach Europe qualify as refugees. Peter Sutherland also praised a planned EU quota system where countries would share the settlement burden, though finding the required agreement of all EU members is a challenge. Some countries have already objected.

The EU's executive Commission was to propose the plan Wednesday as part of a strategy to help front-line countries Italy, Greece and Malta cope with thousands of foreigners. France's top security official said Monday that his country supports the plan.

Mogherini said the "new agenda for migration" to be addressed Wednesday would also do more to increase search-and-rescue operations and allow for more legal pathways into Europe. She did not give details.

"We know we have to tackle all aspects of this tragedy," she said, but she also argued that "dismantling traffickers ... is a way of saving lives."

The crisis centers on Libya, which has fractured into two competing governments, and parts of the proposed EU operation on shore and in territorial waters would require permission from Libyan authorities.

Mogherini said she met earlier Monday with Libya's U.N. ambassador, who last week largely rejected the plan and said his country had not even been consulted.

She stressed repeatedly that the crisis will require an effort larger than just the EU. "Europe has probably for once woken up," she said. "We need the rest of the world to do its part as well."

A Section on 05/12/2015

Print Headline: EU envoy: Won't force migrants back

ADVERTISEMENT

Sponsor Content

Comments

You must be signed in to post comments
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT