Today's Paper Search Latest Elections Core values App Traffic Listen Story ideas iPad FAQ Weather Newsletters Obits Puzzles Archive

Arkansas customers using Xfinity by Comcast Internet services will be subjected to data caps starting next month as part of the continued rollout of a trial, according to the company.

The trial set to start Dec. 1 encompasses several states outlined on the Xfinity website such as Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida and Mississippi.

Xfinity said the following Arkansas cities may be included in the trial: Alexander, Benton, Bryant, College Station, Earle, Jacksonville, Little Rock, Mabelvale, Marion, Maumelle, North Little Rock, Parkin, Paron, Roland, Sherwood, Sweet Home and West Memphis.

Customers will see a 300 gigabyte per month cap on their Internet usage, according to Xfinity. If a customer exceeds that figure, $10 will be added to their bill in 50 gigabyte increments.

An "Unlimited Data" option for $30 to $35 per month can be tacked onto a customer's bill to avoid the 300 gigabyte cap and any possible overage charges, the company said.

Another option, the "Flexible Data" plan designed for casual or light Internet users who typically use 5 gigabytes of data or less each month, provides a $5 credit to customers who do not exceed the threshold.

If the 5 gigabyte cap is exceeded on the plan that applies to Economy Plus and Performance Starter customers, $1 would be charged for each gigabyte of data used.

Customers will be alerted via email if they are near the data cap, according to Xfinity. A "Usage Meter" is also available on each customer's online account portal.

A three-month courtesy program is part of the trial, Xfinity said, allowing customers to avoid overage charges until the fourth time they exceed the data cap.

The data usage plans do not apply to Xfinity customers on fiber-based Extreme 505 or Gigabit Pro tiers of service, the company said. Business customers are also not included in the trial set to start in December.

More information about the Xfinity data usage plan trial can be found on the company's website.

• Zepplin1
    November 4, 2015 at 4:24 p.m.

more craptastic comcast customer service.

• TheGoodGuy
    November 4, 2015 at 4:30 p.m.

Lot of generic information gleaned from the general corporate websites in this article. Needs to be more precise for us. But this garbage IS happening. I suggest we all boycott comcrap! It is $35 a month for "unlimited". Not "$30 to $35". It's complete crap!! My family streams tv. This service change is designed to punish people like us who cut the over-priced tv service out completely. Plain and simple. They want to make some of that money back by punishing us with this fee. I have already filed a complaint with the fcc and I suggest everyone else do the same.

• LittleRockVoter
    November 4, 2015 at 6:23 p.m.

A Comcast rep walked through our neighborhood and tried to sell us cable TV service two months ago. We stream our shows using Comcast internet service, which is probably why I received a letter this week letting me know that I was selected to participate in their "trial" service. I was not given the opportunity to opt out of the trial. I find it I interesting that Comcast can unilaterally change my service from unlimited data to capped data usage. The potentially more costly Comcast service does not include any improvement in service or increase in data speeds. It would be interesting to know if only customers that subscribe to just their internet service are being targeted for the capped data service.

• nlrar009
    November 4, 2015 at 7:38 p.m.

Nope. I have their X1 cable service. I got an email with the "trial" capped data notice.

• smichael
    November 4, 2015 at 7:54 p.m.

I never expected that I could really profit in trading and learn how to trade effectively. Credits to Superior Trading System for mentoring me how to trade. Google them if you’re interested in how to make money through trading.

• wolfman
    November 4, 2015 at 8:48 p.m.

Cable companies are feeling the pinch of us cord cutters. thus if you have their broadband service and not cable they know what you are doing. you are correct, they know you are a cord cutter and they want to cap your internet. go with dsl. some phone companies have it where you don't have to have a home phone to get their dsl service. dsl is much more reliable anyway and it is cap free!

• LR1955
    November 4, 2015 at 11:27 p.m.

I have comcast cable tv & internet and I got the letter/email re the cap.