Today's Paper Latest Coronavirus Cooking Families Core values Listen Story ideas iPad Weather Newsletters Obits Puzzles Archive
ADVERTISEMENT
story.lead_photo.caption Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Director Scott Bennett is shown in this file photo. ( Stephen B. Thornton)

State engineers told Little Rock city directors Tuesday that plans for the renovation of the Interstate 30 corridor that runs through downtown North Little Rock and Little Rock remain a work in progress and pledged to continue to work to address concerns about the estimated $600 million project.

Reader Vote Results

Are you in favor of the proposed I-30 widening in Little Rock?

At a meeting with directors and the public at the Clinton Presidential Center, project engineers also outlined how they have already "tweaked" the project to overcome objections raised in the past few weeks.

Most notably, a proposed configuration of the I-30/Cantrell Road interchange in downtown Little Rock no longer will require removal or relocation of the Rock Region Metro streetcar line on the east side of the interchange. It serves an area that now includes the Clinton presidential library and the headquarters for Heifer International.

"We will make that happen," said Jerry Holder, a consulting engineer who works for Garver LLC and is the program manager for the Connecting Arkansas Program, a $1.8 billion statewide road-construction program that includes the I-30 corridor project.

He also said changes to the design have preserved all but one of the east-west connections under and across I-30 in downtown and held out the possibility that engineers will figure out how to preserve the one still unresolved. The ramps on the new interchange are too low for trucks to pass under on East Fourth Street now, he said.

And Holder all but promised new options that will be brought forward as soon as January to address how traffic gets into and out of downtown Little Rock at the interchange.

Little Rock city officials wanted engineers to look at steering traffic away from accessing LaHarpe Boulevard from Cumberland Avenue and its intersection with East Markham Street/President Clinton Avenue, citing the high volume of pedestrians using the city's popular River Market entertainment district.

One option they unveiled last month was to steer traffic from I-30 onto Second Street, a one-way thoroughfare that would be widened to three lanes, from two, for several blocks to State Street, where motorists would continue onto LaHarpe. Traffic wanting to access the interstate would be funneled down Fourth Street from Chester Street.

Under that alternative, LaHarpe at Cumberland and Markham/President Clinton would be closed to through traffic.

Holder said people with whom engineers have met have been sharply divided on the issue.

"It's a tough problem," he said. "There's not any obvious solution."

Holder was among the people who spoke Tuesday night. About 200 people attended the meeting, which lasted about three hours.

The presentation was part of the city Board of Directors' regular meeting but was moved to the presidential center to accommodate the audience. Unlike the regular part of the board meeting, it wasn't televised live, but City Manager Bruce Moore told the directors the presentation was taped and would be aired on the city's public access channel at a later date.

Scott Bennett, the director of the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department, sought an audience before the board to address "some confusion in the public dialogue about a number of the project's proposed elements."

He also sought to quell rising anxiety about the project by extending the latest comment period by a month. It was scheduled to be closed Nov. 6 but now will end Dec. 6.

At Tuesday's meeting, he also announced that the department will hold a "town hall"-style meeting N̶o̶v̶.̶ ̶6̶ Nov. 16*, also at the presidential center, to answer additional questions directly from the public.

Bennett said it was all part of a process that began more than a year ago, and insisted that nothing yet was final. "We're not going to shove anything down anyone's throats," he said.

Chief among the proposed improvements is replacing the bridge over the Arkansas River. It was built 50 years ago, carries 125,000 vehicles daily and, according to barge operators, has long posed a hazard to navigation on the river. Bennett first publicly announced the possibility of replacing the bridge in December 2011.

The initial formal planning for the project began more than a year ago when the first plans for the project were brought to the public and various stakeholders along the corridor.

That process culminated this past summer with a recommendation that the corridor would be widened up to five lanes in each direction on part but not all of the corridor.

The department has proposed a series of other improvements in the 6.7-mile corridor, which is bounded south of the Arkansas River by Interstate 530 and north of the river by Interstate 40. The project boundaries also include a section of I-40 between Arkansas 107 and U.S. 67/167 in North Little Rock.

The corridor carries too much traffic, its design doesn't meet modern standards -- such as having adequate shoulders -- and sees too many traffic crashes for a highway of its size, Holder told the board.

City Director Dean Kumpuris used his time to ask questions of Bennett and Holder to disclose that he was one of the leading voices asking engineers to look at options other than LaHarpe for traffic coming on and off the interstate at downtown.

"I was pushing Second Street," he said. "I succeeded in making a lot of my friends mad."

But Kumpuris said he feared for anything that would hurt the River Market and surrounding downtown area, which has been undergoing a renaissance.

"For me, the thought that anything we do would kill what we've done over the past 25 years would break my heart," he said.

Little Rock Mayor Mark Stodola urged Holder and Bennett to also relook at widening the interstate in some places to 10 lanes. An eight-lane option remains an alternative. But the mayor wants to keep two lanes segregated for local traffic in each direction that is in the 10-lane option and leave just two lanes in each direction for through traffic because, according to engineer estimates, just 20 percent of the traffic is through traffic with the balance exiting onto Interstate 630 or downtown.

He reflected board sentiment on the engineers' responsiveness to community concerns.

"These options are evolving," he said. "It speaks to the openness the Highway Department engineers have to the process."

But opposition was pronounced among more than a dozen activists and citizens who took to the podium after the presentation.

Some, including representatives of downtown neighborhoods, flatly opposed the project and continued to press for a long-range plan for all of the downtown area and beyond.

"We ask for a halt to reconsider doing it," said Robin Loucks, president of the Downtown Neighborhood Association.

Even people who spoke up for the project asked engineers to reconsider the Second and Fourth streets alternative.

While Gary Smith, a longtime civic leader, praised the new design as a "much safer system than we have today," he opposed "dumping 100 percent of the traffic on Second Street."

"LaHarpe is a major artery," he said of the street that becomes Cantrell Road. "I don't think you want to cut off a major artery."

David Knight, a top executive with Stephens Inc., the financial services firm, said two of his companies' major downtown properties, the Stephens Building on Center and the Capitol Hotel on Markham, back up to Second. Between the two properties, Stephens employs about 1,000 people, half of whom live outside of Little Rock and commute to and from their jobs.

"We don't want to make it more difficult for our employees and our customers," he said.

Knight also said the design would essentially create multiple pedestrian problems up and down Second Street.

Metro on 11/04/2015

CORRECTION: The date of the "town hall"-style meeting to discuss the I-30 corridor changes will be Nov. 16. An earlier version of this story had an incorrect date.

Print Headline: State: Will work with cities on I-30

ADVERTISEMENT

Sponsor Content

Archived Comments

  • RBear
    November 4, 2015 at 5:12 a.m.

    This plan continues to improve as AHTD and Garver have listened to citizens and elected officials about the need to maintain a vibrant downtown Little Rock. Public transit will continue as well as east/west connectivity. Still would prefer 8 GP option over 10 C/D option. I understand the value of C/D, but I think there are problems with the interchange around the River Market District.
    ...
    I do think Garver and AHTD dismissed the Chester St. bridge too quickly. Their "modeling" exercise said only 3% would be relieved from I-30. That's based on current downtown traffic and doesn't take into account the human factor. When given a new river crossing option that places them closer to three major employers (Dillard's, Verizon Wireless, and state government), I think they would take that option over driving past then doubling back. Garver missed on this one and is trying to use flawed math to justify their dismissal.

  • Nodmcm
    November 4, 2015 at 5:27 a.m.

    First off, read Director Scott Bennett's biography on the AHTD website. This guy is an Arkansas hero! For those right-wingers who hate government, they can just get right down off their high horse. Director Bennett is as able and competent as any corporate type, yet he works for all of us, as a dedicated state employee. I dare you, read his bio and then tell me something bad about the outstanding work done at the highway department. Bennett and his staff are prepared to bend over backward to make this right. Honestly, I do not believe we could ask for more. Sure, there are details, and the devil is right there in them, but once everyone looks things over, and Dean Kumpuris perhaps backs off the "Second Street option," and conservatives agree that government CAN DO great things, for all of us, this highway imbroglio will settle itself.

  • Morebeer
    November 4, 2015 at 6:37 a.m.

    After reading Baker Kurrus' assessment that LR schools are headed to Detroit-style ineptness, best to make it 12 lanes from Searcy to Arkadelphia.

  • TimberTopper
    November 4, 2015 at 8:34 a.m.

    Why not a park and ride mass transit system say from 50 miles in all directions of Little Rock?

  • drs01
    November 4, 2015 at 9:11 a.m.

    Years ago I bought a new car. The dealership advertised low prices and high volume. They had sales people running around making deals. Monthly sales figures increased a hundred fold. The problems came later when all these new buyers wanted warranty service. The dealership's staff of service technicians could only service 50% of the the sales volume.
    That's what has happened with the attempts to rebirth the downtown area. The so-called leadership keeps adding projects to the area that increase the traffic flow, but offered no plans on how to deal with it. Now they are reacting to the AHTD plan designed to help improve the traffic flow for the 80% who use the I-30 corridor for their daily commute. I hope those living outside LR-NLR have a voice in this project. If the AHTD listen to just the local developers, politicians and the like, then this project will takes more money and more time to complete. Just look at the Broadway bridge project as an example of political posturing and delays.

  • RBBrittain
    November 4, 2015 at 11:39 a.m.

    I have an idea. There is exactly ONE route to thread a connection from LaHarpe to I-30 past Markham, 2nd & Cumberland with grade separations WITHOUT permanently demolishing historic buildings: Route it thru the current Chamber of Commerce building, the parking deck between the Heritage Center & Stone Ward buildings, the log-cabin site of the Historic Arkansas Museum (all the buildings there were disassembled from elsewhere & reassembled there -- they can be disassembled again, then reassembled either elsewhere OR, if a cut-and-cover tunnel is used, in the SAME place), and under both 2nd & Cumberland and the Darragh Center's courtyard (taking care to avoid the main HAM property -- Louise Loughborough's original half-block Territorial Restoration -- which is absolutely irreplaceable), emerging on the current route just east of Cumberland. (The best option would be a cut-and-cover tunnel to restore the log cabin & possibly parking deck, but an overpass or depressed roadway may also work.) However, that might require removing the overpass over River Market & Sherman, with the new River Market Avenue intersection as the main access to the River Market District itself; that would work if you rerouted the trolley thru the Clinton Center, but probably NOT if the current trolley route on River Market is preserved. (And, of course, the Chamber of Commerce can't get too miffed at tearing their building down.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT