Today's Paper News Sports Features Business Opinion LEARNS Guide Newsletters Obits Games Archive Notices Core Values
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Wal-Mart suer now taking on inequality

by Frank E. Lockwood | March 30, 2016 at 5:45 a.m.
Betty Dukes (left), with other plaintiffs in a lawsuit alleging Wal-Mart discriminated against female employees, speaks at a March 2011 news conference in Washington. Dukes addressed the National Press Club on Tuesday — a fifth anniversary for Walmart Stores, Inc. v. Dukes.

WASHINGTON -- A Wal-Mart employee who fought the company all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court has left the company after reaching a settlement, but she said Tuesday that she'll be devoting her energy to fighting racial and gender inequality.

Tuesday was the fifth anniversary of the oral arguments in Walmart Stores, Inc. v. Dukes .

At the National Press Club, Betty Dukes, the lead plaintiff in the case, described what it had been like to watch as the justices grappled with her case.

"It was an awesome place to be and it was absolutely a place of terror to be in such a high place of law in the land and you don't know the end result," she said.

Print Headline: Wal-Mart suer now taking on inequality

ADVERTISEMENT

Sponsor Content

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT