Today's Paper Search Latest Core values App Traffic #Gazette200 Listen Story ideas iPad FAQ Weather Newsletters Obits Puzzles Archive
story.lead_photo.caption Little Rock police officers urge Jorge Nunez to come out of his ex-girlfriend’s home before they threw tear gas canisters into the building Thursday. ( Benjamin Krain)

A Little Rock man was arrested Thursday after a fight with an ex-girlfriend led to a standoff with tactical police officers.


More headlines
Photo by Benjamin Krain
Little Rock police tactical team members approach Jorge Nunez, 46, outside his ex-girlfriend’s home at 8121 Westwood Ave. after throwing tear gas canisters through a window to force him out and end a two-hour standoff Thursday afternoon. A police officer, responding to a domestic disturbance call at the address, reported seeing Nunez enter the home with a weapon. Nunez then refused to leave, the officer reported. Nunez was arrested and charged with violation of order of protection, aggravated assault and aggravated burglary.
Photo by Pulaski County sheriff's office
Jorge Nunez

Police were called to a disturbance involving a weapon at 12:47 p.m. at 8121 Westwood Ave., off Manor Avenue south of Colonel Glenn Road. Officers said they saw a man run inside the one-story home. A woman then told police that her ex-boyfriend had showed up at the residence and had refused to leave.

Police cordoned off the area and attempted to speak to the man, but he did not respond, according to police spokesman Lt. Steve McClanahan.

A volley of shots could be heard about 3 p.m. when tactical officers fired chemical gas into the residence. Minutes later, as an officer approached the home with a police dog, the man left the house and surrendered, police said.

No injuries were reported.

Police identified the man as Jorge Nunez, 46, of Little Rock. He was charged with aggravated assault on a family or household member and aggravated burglary.

Nunez was additionally charged with violating an order of protection. Court records show District Judge Alice Lightle restricted his contact with two women, Michelle Lopez and Sofia Vega, on April 19 after he was charged with aggravated assault on a family or household member; felony aggravated assault; third-degree domestic battery; first-degree terroristic threatening; and first-degree interference with emergency communication.

Further details of that case weren't immediately available.

Michelle Lopez owns the home where the police standoff occurred Thursday, according to property records.

Court filings show Nunez has a criminal history going back 15 years, including convictions for unlawful dogfighting and keeping a gambling house. The current order of protection against him is at least the third filed on grounds of domestic abuse. He's been convicted of aggravated assault and false imprisonment, both felonies.

Nunez's family reported him missing March 16 after he reportedly went to a friend's house and didn't come home. Little Rock police said he was found the next day.

Nunez was being held in the Pulaski County jail late Thursday.

Metro on 05/13/2016

Print Headline: Man held after standoff at ex-lover's home


Sponsor Content