Today's Paper Latest stories Elections Most commented Obits Traffic Wally Hall Newsletters Weather Puzzles + Games
story.lead_photo.caption These photos from the Arkansas Department of Transportation shows an overturned 18-wheeler on I-430 on Thursday morning.

4:40 P.M. UPDATE:

A lane of northbound Interstate 430 at the Arkansas River bridge has reopened Thursday more than 10 hours after an 18-wheeler carrying cases of bottled water overturned there.

The Arkansas Department of Transportation said at 4:29 p.m. that the outside lane was reopened. The other two lanes were reopened by 8:40 a.m.

EARLIER:

Two lanes of northbound Interstate 430 have reopened at the Arkansas River bridge after an 18-wheeler carrying cases of bottled water overturned there Thursday morning, but one lane remained blocked more than eight hours later.

The Arkansas Department of Transportation said shortly after 6 a.m. that the wreck closed the northbound highway entirely, quickly causing a miles-long backup as the morning rush hour commenced.

By 7:20 a.m., one northbound lane was back open. By 8:40 a.m., only the outside lane was closed while crews worked to unload the bottled water cases from the truck before it could be uprighted and towed away, said Danny Straessle, a spokesman for the highway agency.

Officials initially expected the highway to be clear by 1 p.m., but crews were still working then and the outside lane remained shut. In a tweet, the highway agency said the effort was taking "longer than expected." There was no estimate given for when the outside lane would reopen.

No lanes were blocked on southbound I-430, but a significant backup was reported there too Thursday morning. Heavy traffic on the Interstate 30 bridge was also reported then as more vehicles used it than normal because of the I-430 wreck, officials said.

This Arkansas Department of Transportation photo shows vehicles backed up on I-430 northbound on Thursday morning.

Comments

• RBBrittain
    December 7, 2017 at 6:53 a.m.

Closed "at at" the bridge? Need a new headline writer.

• itryed
    December 7, 2017 at 7:48 a.m.

Oh, please...

• ARKYHOMER
    December 7, 2017 at 10:13 a.m.

there was no wreck in the south bound side but it was backed up for a mile or two because of rubber necking. C'mon people.

• HarleyOwner
    December 7, 2017 at 11:15 a.m.

There just isn't sufficient warning to truck drivers about how dangerous that hill is.

• richlin04211114
    December 7, 2017 at 11:35 a.m.

Southbound lane was almost at a stand still. Wish they could put a couple of state troopers out there handing out tickets. It was ridiculous and unnecessary.

• LR1955
    December 7, 2017 at 2:14 p.m.

ARDemGaz/Gavin, since we have a photo of the truck cab, how about a welfare report on the driver!!!
    Thanks

• Roper1944
    December 7, 2017 at 5:47 p.m.

I get paid over $87 per hour working from home with 2 kids at home. I never thought I'd be able to do it but my best friend earns over 10k a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless.

Here’s what I've been doing>> w­w­w.Y­o­u­r­70­.c­o­m

• Olivia5789
    December 7, 2017 at 9:59 p.m.

I just started 6 weeks ago and I've gotten 2 check for a total of $2,200...this is the best decision I made in a long time! "Thank you for giving me this extraordinary opportunity to make extra money from home. This extra cash has changed my life in so many ways, thank you! This is what I do,....... w­w­w.Y­o­u­r­70­.c­o­m