Today's Paper Latest stories Obits Rex Nelson Wally Hall Brummett online Traffic Newsletters Weather Puzzles
story.lead_photo.caption Arkadelphia quarterback Cannon Turner tries to break a tackle by Warren’s Psavian Person during Saturday’s Class 4A championship game at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock. Turner passed for 281 yards and was named the game’s MVP. - Photo by Benjamin Krain

Arkadelphia's first state football title in 30 years included two key fourth-quarter plays and controversy near the end of Saturday's Class 4A state championship game against Warren.

Sophomore quarterback Cannon Turner's 81-yard touchdown pass to senior tight end Alec Lewis, and senior cornerback Dillon Scott's interception with four seconds left helped the Badgers earn a 28-27 victory over the Lumberjacks at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock.

Arkadelphia Coach J.R. Eldridge, in his seventh season at the Clark County school, led the Badgers to their first state championship since 1987. It was Arkadelphia's third state championship overall, with the late John Outlaw leading the school to titles in 1979 and 1987.

"It's just unbelievable," Eldridge said. "I'm just so proud of those coaches and kids for the work they've put in. Warren, they've been here. We haven't. But I think it says something about the way our kids have continued to come to work. We just tried to keep knocking on the door and we finally got here."

The Badgers (14-1), the No. 2 seed from the 7-4A Conference, trailed 27-21 with 3:19 left when Turner found Lewis along the left sideline for an 81-yard touchdown pass. Junior Gabe Goodman's extra-point attempt gave the Badgers a 28-27 lead.

"He [Arkadelphia offensive coordinator Casey Moreland] told us right before, 'This play is going to score,' " Turner said. "We executed it. We believed in it. We scored."

Warren (13-2), the defending Class 4A state champion and No. 1 seed from the 8-4A Conference, began its drive at its 18 with 3:13 left and the Lumberjacks drove to the Arkadelphia 8.

With no timeouts left, Warren attempted to spike the football to stop the clock at three seconds after a 1-yard run by junior Treylon Burks. But a fan from Warren's student section ran onto the field from the west side of War Memorial Stadium. The student, who gave a thumbs down gesture toward the Arkadelphia fans on the east side of the stadium, was taken down by two Little Rock Police Department officers and an Arkansas State Parks ranger at the 25-yard line.

Lt. Michael Ford, a spokesman for the police department, told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that the fan was a 16-year-old from Warren. He was charged with disorderly conduct and criminal trespass, and received a citation. The student was not named because he is a juvenile.

After the spike, Warren sophomore Jesus Tinoco was lining up to attempt a 25-yard field goal. However, officials penalized Warren 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct, which backed the Lumberjacks up to the Arkadelphia 23. The time on the clock was changed from three to 12 seconds after the delay by the fan.

On second and goal from the Arkadelphia 23, Warren ran another play instead of attempting a 40-yard field goal. Junior quarterback J'malachi Kinnard was intercepted by Scott in the end zone with four seconds left.

Warren Coach Bo Hembree expressed his displeasure with how Saturday's game ended.

"They hurt our kids," Hembree said. "They weren't helping our kids. Was that helping kids? I've never seen that in college.

"But it's sad when you work 15 weeks to get here and you let something like that take it away from a group of kids who worked their tail off all year. How do I go talk to them?"

Eldridge was proud of his team's poise down the stretch.

"It was a crazy situation," Eldridge said. "I've never seen anything like that."

Turner was named MVP after completing 10 of 17 passes for 281 yards with 1 touchdown and 1 interception. He also rushed for 56 yards and 1 touchdown on 20 carries.

Junior running back Zion Hatley finished with 22 carries for 54 yards and a 5-yard touchdown run for Arkadelphia.

For Warren, Burks accounted for 295 of the Lumberjacks' 506 offensive yards. He caught 4 passes for 178 yards and 2 touchdowns, rushed for 116 yards and 2 touchdowns on 18 carries, and was 1-of-4 passing for 11 yards. Defensively, Burks had a team-high 16 tackles and an interception.

Warren trailed 21-13 at halftime but took a 27-21 lead in the third quarter with Burks hauling in touchdown passes from Kinnard of 53 yards (11:41) and 91 yards (6:32). He also had scoring runs of 25 and 2 yards in the first half.

Information for this article was contributed by Democrat-Gazette staff writer Emma Pettit.

Photo by Benjamin Krain
Warren’s Treylon Burks is consoled after Saturday’s game. Burks had 383 all-purpose yards and scored four touchdowns.

Sports on 12/10/2017

Print Headline: Big-play Badgers

Comments

• GoBigRed
    December 10, 2017 at 8:59 a.m.

This story would be a bit better if the writer explained the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty was for the student running onto the field. And is not a penalty covered in the rulebook.

• NoUserName
    December 10, 2017 at 9:26 a.m.

Yeah, that's what I had assumed the penalty was for but the story was certainly unclear. My inclination is that it was ridiculous to penalize the team for that.

• Jfish
    December 10, 2017 at 9:52 a.m.

NUN, I watched the game and I think the officials handled correctly. If the clock had been completely stopped when the Warren fan ran onto the field with Warren at the 8-yard line, they would have had time to get their field goal unit out there or at least gathered themselves for one more snap and a shot at the end zone. This would not have been fair for Arkadelphia. I know Coach Embree is upset, but it was a Warren fan and would have been similar to one of his fans throwing something onto the field. There has to be a penalty in that situation. BTW, I have no affiliation with either team.

• NoUserName
    December 10, 2017 at 10:11 a.m.

I dunno. I just watched vid of it. Looks like Warren had enough time to spike. They were snapping at about 4 seconds. Why did the officials change the clock to 12 seconds after the incident? Looks to me like the penalty likely changed the outcome of the game which is something you never want. Especially a penalty like this where it wasn't even on anybody associated with the team. As for me, I've no affiliation either. I don't actually follow AR high school football. 'Bizzare ending' caught my eye.

• Jfish
    December 10, 2017 at 10:31 a.m.

Yeah I know what you mean. My point is that Warren was in a massive rush to spike it or do whatever they were going to do with 3 of 4 seconds left and I just don't believe that a HS team could have pulled it off. I think the fan came out onto the field with about 12 seconds left so that is what the officials reset the clock to. The way the fan was dressed I think that a lot of people including the officials, players, etc., thought he was a team trainer or something. I know the officials did not want to penalize anyone but I believe that they did the right thing and Warren got one more play although it was a long shot.

• kcmng
    December 10, 2017 at 1:05 p.m.

I was watching the game on tv and the quarterback was in the shotgun, after the kid came onto the field the play was stopped. The announcers believed the QB was going to spike the ball, which he said could only be done under center. So if the play was not halted and the QB spiked the ball, it would have resulted in an offensive penalty. An offensive penalty, that close to the end of the game, would have ended the game.

• GoBigRed
    December 10, 2017 at 7:42 p.m.

I hope the sports section will follow up and get an explanation of the rule that was violated. And like the others, I have no affiliation with either team.

• hurricane46
    December 11, 2017 at 9:16 a.m.

Looks like the mad dasher may have to move far away from Warren.

• MaxCady
    December 11, 2017 at 12:33 p.m.

That kid is persona non grata in Warren right about now.

• YOUNGT104
    December 11, 2017 at 2 p.m.

What the kid did was wrong and I was told that someone bet him that he would not do it. I have heard talk that the good folks from Warren are asking for the kid to be expelled.
    Used to live there and was talking to some folks that I know that still live in the area. So this next week will be interesting, the big plays that Warren gave up cost them the game or it would not have been close. Don't care for the Warren Coach.. but understand he walks on water in Warren.