School Closings Today's Paper 🚨 LIVE MAP: Wrecks stall traffic on I-40 Latest stories Weather Most commented Obits Newsletters Puzzles + Games
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
story.lead_photo.caption The interior of a mosque is shown after a deadly attack by a suicide bomber in Mubi, Nigeria, in this image taken from TV on Tuesday.

50 people killed in mosque bombing

LAGOS, Nigeria -- A teenage suicide bomber attacked worshippers as they gathered for morning prayers Tuesday at a mosque in northeastern Nigeria, police said, killing at least 50 people in one of the region's deadliest attacks in years.

Bloody debris covered the floor inside the mosque in Mubi town in Adamawa state where worshippers had arrived about 5 a.m. Outside, people gathered around the dead.

Police spokesman Othman Abubakar said they were "still trying to ascertain the number of injured because they are in various hospitals." He said the young man detonated his explosives Tuesday while mingling among the worshippers.

While there was no immediate claim of responsibility for the bombing, suspicion immediately fell on the Boko Haram extremist group. The group is based in neighboring Borno state and has been blamed for scores of similar attacks over the years.

Tuesday's attack was the first since Mubi town was liberated from Boko Haram insurgents in 2014.

Boko Haram has been blamed for more than 20,000 deaths during its 8-year-old insurgency.

U.S. bombs in Somalia kill 100 militants

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. military, reflecting its stepped-up campaign against extremists in Africa, said airstrikes killed more than 100 militants in Somalia on Tuesday and hit Islamic State fighters in Libya days earlier.

U.S. Africa Command, which manages U.S. military operations on the continent, said the airstrike in Somalia targeted an al-Shabab camp about 125 miles northwest of the capital, Mogadishu, killing more than 100 people. That is the largest number of reported deaths from a single U.S. airstrike in Somalia since President Donald Trump's administration approved expanded military operations against al-Shabab, which is allied with al-Qaida.

Al-Shabab is blamed for last month's truck bombing in Mogadishu that killed more than 350 people.

Separately, Africa Command said it conducted two airstrikes near Fuqaha in central Libya against Islamic State militants -- one on Friday and another two days later. It made no mention of casualties and did not identify the specific targets. It said the strikes were done in coordination with Libya's interim government.

Russia now says radiation levels higher

MOSCOW -- Russian authorities on Tuesday confirmed reports of a spike in radioactivity in the air over the Ural Mountains while representatives for a nuclear fuel processing plant denied that it was the source of contamination.

The Russian Meteorological Service said in a statement Tuesday that it recorded the release of Ruthenium-106 in the southern Urals in late September and classified it as "extremely high contamination." Russian authorities insisted, however, that the amount of Ruthenium posed no health risks.

France's nuclear safety agency said earlier this month that it recorded radioactivity in the area between the Volga River and the Ural Mountains from a suspected accident involving nuclear fuel or the production of radioactive material. It said the release of the isotope Ruthenium-106 posed no health or environmental risks to European countries.

Last month, when reports of a trace of Ruthenium over Europe first appeared, Russia's state-controlled Rosatom corporation denied any leak. Rosatom reaffirmed Tuesday that the Ruthenium emission registered by the state meteorological service hadn't come from any of its facilities.

Mexican rights official, son gunned down

MEXICO CITY -- Gunmen in Mexico have killed a human-rights official and his son in the northern state of Baja California Sur in an attack that was condemned by federal officials Tuesday.

In a news conference, state officials said Silvestre de la Toba Camacho and his family were driving in an SUV in a busy part of the state capital of La Paz about 7 p.m. Monday when gunmen in another vehicle opened fire.

De la Toba Camacho, 47, and his son Fernando de la Toba Lucero, 20, died at the scene. De la Toba Camacho's wife and 17-year-old daughter were wounded and taken to a nearby hospital.

Mexico's Interior Ministry condemned the attack Tuesday and called on state officials to find those responsible.

Luis Raul Gonzalez Perez, president of the National Human Rights Commission, also called on the government to provide security to the surviving relatives and staff of the rights commission in Baja California Sur, which has seen an increase in violence as drug cartels battle for control over territory.

A Section on 11/22/2017

Print Headline: 50 at mosque killed by suicide bomber U.S. bombs in Somalia kill 100 militants Russia now says radiation levels higher Mexican rights official, son gunned down 2-16-1

Sponsor Content

Comments

You must be signed in to post comments
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT