Today's Paper Latest stories 2018 election city/county races Most commented Obits Traffic Newsletters Weather Puzzles + games
story.lead_photo.caption James Nesmith - Photo by Pulaski County sheriff's office

Police on Tuesday arrested a Little Rock doctor accused of sexually assaulting a teenage boy, according to an arrest report.

James Nesmith, 53, of Berney Way Drive faces one count of second-degree sexual assault, according to the report.

According to the report, Nesmith is accused of grabbing the child's genitalia when the victim was about 14 years old. The report also said Nesmith engaged in "self gratification" while in the presence of the victim. The report did not disclose a specific date the offense occurred, but it did say the victim is now 26 years old.

Nesmith was arrested Tuesday morning after he surrendered at Little Rock District Court, 600 W. Markham St., the report said.

Leslie Taylor, a spokesman for UAMS Medical Center, said Tuesday that Nesmith is an associate professor at UAMS and a physician at Arkansas Children's Hospital. She said Nesmith was involved in adolescent and sports medicine.

In May, Nesmith, at the request of Arkansas Children's Hospital, had been put on administrative leave with pay, according to Taylor. On Tuesday, Nesmith was placed on administrative leave without pay, Taylor said. Taylor said it's the hospital's understanding that the criminal charge is not related to patients or patient care.

She said Nesmith's annual salary is $168,132 and he was hired in 1995. Nesmith was not listed on the Pulaski County jail's inmate roster Tuesday night.

More headlines

Metro on 10/18/2017

Print Headline: LR doctor arrested in sex-assault case

Comments

• jmg1232
    October 18, 2017 at 10:24 a.m.

I don't believe the accuser's story is credible. Why did the guy wait 12 years to report this purported abuse? There is no pattern of abuse by Dr. Nesmith. Given that Dr. Nesmith does sports physicals routinely and it is common practice to examine the patients genitals, I have to wonder if this is much ado about nothing. I don't believe the story about Dr. Nesmith engaging in "self gratification" either. Sadly the Dr's reputation is ruined whether the story is true or not. Dr. Nesmith has been a volunteer team doctor for one of the local football teams. If Dr. Nesmith were up to no good, I think it would have come out much sooner. Until there's some tangible proof, I will believe that Dr. Nesmith is innocent.

• jmg1232
    October 18, 2017 at 10:24 a.m.

• HarleyOwner
    October 18, 2017 at 11:24 a.m.

jmg1232 I agree with you.

• LR1955
    October 18, 2017 at 11:26 a.m.

Statute of Limitations is 15 yrs for rape, 6 yrs for lesser felonies.

Looks like Drs and maybe everybody should consider wearing a body cam just to cover themselves.

Or at least get some form signed by all patients acknowledging & accepting that the attending physician may have to touch them during an exam or treatment.

• TimberTopper
    October 18, 2017 at 11:27 a.m.

Probably some guy just trying to get money from the dr., and he wouldn't pay.

• cblann
    October 18, 2017 at 11:52 a.m.

I don't know anything about this particular case, but I have seen so many lives ruined when falsely charged. I don't know the answer. Maybe the system and the presentation in the media needs an overhaul.

• cblann
    October 18, 2017 at 11:58 a.m.

oops...correction... maybe the system and the presentation in the media NEED an overhaul.

• MeadowcliffMafia
    October 18, 2017 at 12:01 p.m.

jmg1232- Maybe the child was traumatized, scared and/or embarrassed and then tried to suppress the memory as a young adult. Then one day as an adult had an epiphany and realized a crime had been committed?

• YoungHog
    October 18, 2017 at 12:42 p.m.

unbecoming...

• PopMom
    October 18, 2017 at 2:14 p.m.

If the doctor is innocent, that fact will come out. The testimony of just one person without corroboration should not be enough to convict. If there are others, that probably will come out as well. When I am examined by my gynecologist, there always is a nurse present. All doctors should do the same.

Many of the people who have accused Weinstein and Cosby also waited years. People are starting to realize that perhaps they are not alone. If nobody else comes forward with respect to this doctor, he probably is innocent.