Today's Paper Latest stories Obits 10 things to do this weekend The TV Column Newsletters Wally Hall Weather Puzzles/games

Razorback Foundation officials participated in job interviews for candidates seeking positions in the athletic department and were allowed to provide feedback.

Photo by Cary Jenkins
Scott Varady
Photo by Cary Jenkins
Athletic department spokesman Kevin Trainor

This story is only available from the Arkansas Online archives. Stories can be purchased individually for $2.95. Click here to search for this story in the archives.

Print Headline: UA, Razorback Foundation line blurry at times; Records show group’s input at meetings, in filling jobs

Comments

• workerman
    April 22, 2018 at 8:41 a.m.

So tired of seeing this story on the front page of the paper over and over again. Going to cancel my subscription.

• NoUserName
    April 22, 2018 at 8:51 a.m.

Sure you are. It doesn't bother you that UA is using the foundation to illegally skirt state law?

• Delta2
    April 22, 2018 at 11:14 a.m.

It bothers me that this "publication" has a sports section that de facto serves as the UAF athletic program media service. Not everything is red and white.

• ZeebronZ
    April 22, 2018 at 11:41 a.m.

A state funded University controlled by a non-state funded booster foundation. yes, sir, that's the state of Arkansas for ya. Just like politics here. You don't have to be in office to control those who are....

• Quackenfuss
    April 22, 2018 at 12:02 p.m.

Sure, an organization that controls ticket sales to all athletic events, collects "donations" for privileged access, floats bond issues to make major alterations to a facility, Razorback Stadium, that is owned by the public, and augments the salaries of university employees should not be required to show anybody anything. Nothing to see here....move along. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Now I know that the board of trustees won't do anything, as they are part of the problem. The legislature won't do anything because they don't just don't do anything.....ever.....except pass out state money in exchange for, well, you know, stuff. Eventually this gaggle of glassy eyed jock sniffers with law degrees and MBAs are going to get hauled in front of some judge who is as pissed off about this cozy little slush fund as I am and he will undress them publicly. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Razorback fan, and I like to see them win, but I really don't think making a mockery of the public interest in the money collected and expended, in the millions of dollars, to a recreational aspect of the state's flagship university is an acceptable price to pay for beating Alabama every ten years. I graduated from the U of A at Fayetteville nearly 50 years ago, and it occupies a special place in my heart. I hate to see it turned into another money changer in the temple, and would sure like for someone to come in and kick over the table.

• MaxCady
    April 22, 2018 at 12:31 p.m.

Arkansas spring game, 7,000 "fans" and that's probably being generous. Alabama spring game 74,000+ fans! Georgia, 82,000+ fans, likely more if sections hadn't been under construction. Tennessee 65,000+ Mississippi State a record 36,000+ Florida 53,000+ Need I go on?!

• NoUserName
    April 22, 2018 at 1:37 p.m.

" has a sports section that de facto serves as the UAF athletic program media service."
    Yup. I've long since given up looking for sports news in the ADG sports section. I once looked for the score for a team I was interested in only to find the game didn't merit even a line score. It was either pro or D1 college.

• GeneralMac
    April 22, 2018 at 4:11 p.m.

tail wagging the dog

• garya
    April 22, 2018 at 4:34 p.m.

It is simple. If you desire to see the Razorback participate in big-time athletics, then an "independent" foundation is absolutely necessary. It allows the university to operate a program that is self-supporting (one of only a very few in college sports). In fact they turn money back to the university for academic purposes. And on and on. Most of you already know all about it. However, a foundation is not going to give away donated money without some degree of involvement or accountability in the other direction. Private donated money is just that. Private. Accept it under those terms or don't take it.

On the other hand, if you want them, the Razorbacks, to compete at a much lower level (FCS, D2, D3 or only club level) and lose money/prestige/students for the university, then so be it. Everything related could then be completely open and subject to FOI. That simple.

The later would personally save me money ........as I am one of the many fans who voluntarily donate each year to the foundation. And as most do, prefer that my business stay my business.

While, some version of an FOI is necessary in an open "democratic" society, our state's FOI has the capability of crippling and making public entities almost inoperable as there is NO limit on how many times or how MUCH information a citizen (or organization) can request/demand. And has to produce in only three days in most instances. NO LIMIT. To any county, city, school district, state offices, colleges, etc.

In essence the public institution can easily become extremely handicapped from performing their normal and necessary daily duties and responsibilities. That is my major concern with our FOI law. No limit as to quantity of information or times requested. Every day until the end of time. Fact, not just my opinion.

And I am not naive. Obviously, oversight is required in any organization, public or private in order to keep human nature (potential abuse and corruption at bay). But some common sense should prevail in regards to the sacred FOI.

Thanks for listening and feel free to disagree as I know many will. This is America 😊

• vegasdebgmailcom
    April 22, 2018 at 5:25 p.m.

The Razorback Foundation supports the athletic department. Because of that Razorback athletics doesn’t use taxpayer or student tuition funds, and, in fact, was able to transfer $3.2 million to the UA general student fund last year.

What’s so evil about that?