Today's Paper Latest Coronavirus The Article iPad Core Values Weather Newsletters Obits Puzzles Archive Story ideas
ADVERTISEMENT

$6,825 restitution part of rapper's guilty plea in incident at Arkansas concert

by Tracy Neal | February 7, 2018 at 4:30 a.m.
Travis Scott

BENTONVILLE -- Rapper Travis Scott has pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct related to a May incident at his Walmart Arkansas Music Pavilion concert in Rogers, his attorney said Tuesday.

A judge dismissed two other misdemeanor charges against Scott, Rogers attorney Doug Norwood said.

Scott, whose real name is Jacques Webster, was initially charged with inciting a riot, disorderly conduct and endangering the welfare of a minor. Court documents refer to him as Webster instead of Scott.

The case was resolved through plea negotiations last month, according to Norwood.

"They overcharged him," Norwood said. "They tried to get him for inciting a riot. The video did not show any of that."

Jon Nelson, an attorney in Norwood's firm, said Scott pleaded guilty to the lowest charge, disorderly conduct, and he was not required to return to Arkansas for the case.

Scott paid $640 in court costs. He also had to pay $6,825.31 to two people who claimed they were injured at the concert, Nelson said.

Luis Lara, a Benton County sheriff's deputy, received $3,649.66 in restitution. Lara was working security at the concert, according to Nelson.

Selena Martinez of Springdale was paid $3,175.65, according to court documents.

"He [Scott] felt bad about anyone being injured and was always willing to pay the restitution," Nelson said.

Norwood said he believes the disorderly conduct charge can eventually be expunged from Scott's record.

Police stated on Facebook that Scott "encouraged people to rush the stage" during the show. Multiple people were injured and treated at the scene, authorities said.

Scott was taken to the Benton County jail and released on a citation a short time later.

He was arrested by Chicago police in August 2015 after he encouraged Lollapalooza festival attendees to climb over security barricades and storm the stage, according to a Rolling Stone report. His performance lasted five minutes before being shut down after dozens of fans joined him on stage, according to Rolling Stone.

Scott pleaded guilty to reckless conduct in December 2015, Billboard later reported. A judge ordered Scott to remain under court supervision for a year, according to Rolling Stone.

Scott became a father Sunday when Kylie Jenner gave birth to their daughter, according to magazine reports.

ADVERTISEMENT

More headlines

State Desk on 02/07/2018

Print Headline: $6,825 restitution part of rapper's guilty plea

ADVERTISEMENT

Sponsor Content

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT