Today's Paper Latest stories Obits Newsletters Traffic Weather Puzzles/games
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
story.lead_photo.caption FILE — Morning radio show hosts David Bazzel, Roger Scott and Tommy Smith pose for a photo outside a lingerie shop in Little Rock, Ark., where they hosted their show for KABZ-FM on Feb. 2, 2018. Last year, the shop sponsored the "Babe Bracket" competition, in which listeners cast votes among 16 local female TV personalities. Bazzel said the competition isn't meant to demean women, but to give their work extra exposure. (AP Photo/Kelly P. Kissel)

A Little Rock radio station says it will change the name of its "Babe Bracket" competition as well as some aspects of the contest after protest spread nationwide.

"The Show With No Name" on 103.7 The Buzz announced in a post on the station's website Wednesday that the contest will be called "The Bracket With No Name."

The name change is "part of a natural evolution and in an attempt to better reflect the nature of the segment," the post says.

The competition, which ranks female TV journalists based on votes from listeners, was called "blatant objectification" in a Feb. 1 blog post by Austin Kellerman, the news director at NBC affiliate KARK-TV and Fox affiliate KLRT-TV.

On Thursday, female journalists in Arkansas and around the country used the Twitter hashtag "#morethanababe" to draw attention to the accomplishments of women in the workplace.

The Buzz also said that the contest's winner will a spa package and a $500 donation to a charity of her choice.

"The goal of this event has always been to let Buzz listeners get to know local TV journalists and celebrities better and allow the contestants to have an open forum to show their personality, share what they are passionate about and talk to members of our great community," the post states.

Sponsor Content

Comments

You must be signed in to post comments
  • Delta2
    February 21, 2018 at 4:32 p.m.

    Not bad, although it's obviously a (belated) reaction to all the backlash. Why don't they make it a coed thing, and have a male bracket as well? Oh, that's right, it won't happen, the show's hosts are Neanderthals.

  • obbie
    February 21, 2018 at 4:54 p.m.

    How about "Person of the Year by PC"

  • Murphy01
    February 21, 2018 at 4:56 p.m.

    Hopefully everyone can now sleep in peace

  • kt2235
    February 21, 2018 at 4:57 p.m.

    The contest formerly known as the Babe Bracket still doesn't get it. It is still singling out females for a particular type of objectification- you can bet yer Betty Boops the rating is more about appearance than journalistic accomplishment.
    Sad, sad, sad.

  • HarleyOwner
    February 21, 2018 at 5:28 p.m.

    LOL, Political correctness wins again.

  • MaxCady
    February 21, 2018 at 5:45 p.m.

    How about the Chick Checklist??!!

  • BEARTRAP919
    February 21, 2018 at 5:51 p.m.

    It is so Sad that this Politically Correct World no longer can see the Differences between Men and Women, I guess this is the start of the end to Civilization, Some Real Men need to Step up someplace if it is not already too Late,

  • Lsull
    February 21, 2018 at 5:54 p.m.

    How about the "5" star.

  • hah406
    February 21, 2018 at 6:04 p.m.

    Delta2, they tried a male and female bracket one year. It tanked. They are catering to their audience. Same reason that People magazine does sexiest man alive, but not sexiest woman. Tried it, and it tanked. This is P.C. gone a step too far, and Kellerman is a punk bitch who turned this into an issue because his stations are getting their butts kicked by Beth Hunt and Chris May at KATV.

  • Delta2
    February 21, 2018 at 8:46 p.m.

    hah, understood, although I still think the hosts of this show are ignorant cavemen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT