Today's Paper Latest stories Wally Hall Lotto odds simulator Most commented Obits Traffic Newsletters Weather Puzzles + games
story.lead_photo.caption Rep. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., answers questions during an interview at the Associated Press bureau in Washington, Thursday, Dec. 7, 2017. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

U.S. Sen. Tom Cotton is warning one of his constituents, in writing, not to contact his office any more.

Stacey Lane of Fayetteville said she received the letter after dropping "F-bombs" during phone conversations with Cotton’s staff members.

Shortly thereafter, she was ordered to back off.

“This letter is immediate notification that all communication must cease and desist immediately with all offices of US Senator Tom Cotton,” the Oct. 17 letter states. “All other contact will be deemed harassment and will be reported to the United States Capitol Police.”

A local activist posted about the letter on Facebook on Wednesday. Soon, a copy of the letter was circulating.

“Have I used expletives? Yes,” Lane said. “I like to think I use them appropriately and to get people’s attention.”

The activist said she’s concerned about the direction of the country, about Republican efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act and about the leadership of President Donald Trump.

“I’m just speaking up for my country, and I’m trying to sound the alarm as loud as I can,” she said.

Cotton, a Republican from Dardanelle, maintains Lane’s comments crossed a line.

His spokeswoman, Caroline Tabler, said constituents who communicate in a way that is harassing and vulgar sometimes receive the type of letter that Lane got.

Similar letters are sent if threats are made, Tabler said in a written statement.

“These letters are rare and only used under extreme circumstances,” she added.

Read Friday's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette for full details.

Comments

• PopMom
    January 18, 2018 at 3:27 p.m.

Cotton should go F himself.

• gibbyda
    January 18, 2018 at 3:43 p.m.

I don't think I could have said that any better. Well done!

• mozarky2
    January 18, 2018 at 4:10 p.m.

Stay classy, PM. Might I remind you that Cotton defeated Mark Pryor by a margin of 56.5% to 36.5%? I'm always happy to pass along that reminder.
    Hmmm...appropriately used expletives...sounds like a bit of an oxymoron to me...btw, has anyone ever seen Stacey Lane and PopMom in the same place...?
    Just sayin', PM. I actually recall a time when you were a reasoned voice on this forum; now, you're just as crazy as the rest of your fellow "progs".
    Thank you for that, President Trump!

• Slak
    January 18, 2018 at 4:14 p.m.

F'k you is good for proglib hypocrites. Sh*thole countries, not so much.

• smmlv3
    January 18, 2018 at 4:36 p.m.

I'm with Senator Cotton. When cursing starts, the conversation is over. Sen. Cotton is not required to spend his valuable time listening to the repetitious ranting of someone who doesn't seem capable of listening, herself.

• wildblueyonder
    January 18, 2018 at 4:37 p.m.

PopMom, you should watch your mouth. I thought you were a refined, mature woman. Well, guess I was wrong.

• George_Sims
    January 18, 2018 at 4:39 p.m.

Why would Cotton complain. He can't hear bad language.

• cain60660gmailcom
    January 18, 2018 at 5:08 p.m.

Poor lil Cottonmouth, she probably interrupted a special meeting with Miss Graham.

• 23cal
    January 18, 2018 at 5:12 p.m.

The First Amendment to the Constitution: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
    Maybe I'm missing something, but it sure seems like Ms. Lane is invoking her constitutional right to petition the government in the person of her elected representative for redress of grievances.
    If there is something in that amendment which says the government can abridge that right because of the tender feelings of the government or that the representative of that government doesn't like what is being said, I damn sure missed it.
    Little Tommy is the poster boy for a fascist regime, and the people on here who think it is great that he spits on the constitutional rights of his constituents just because they want to rah rah his extremist right wing ideology are no better.

• GeneralMac
    January 18, 2018 at 5:36 p.m.

Profanity shows poor upbringing.
    Hear that, PopMom ?