Today's Paper Latest Elections Coronavirus 🔵 Covid Classroom Cooking Families Core values Story ideas iPad Weather Newsletters Obits Puzzles Archive

A woman needed emergency surgery Monday after she was attacked by a group of dogs in a central Arkansas neighborhood, authorities said.

Deputies responded about 9:30 a.m. to the 15200 block of Terrace Road in Mabelvale and found a middle-aged woman lying off to the side of the road with two dogs nearby, Saline County sheriff's office spokesman Jeff Silk said.

A deputy shot one of the dogs as it approached authorities in "an aggressive manner," he said. Both animals then fled the area, Silk said.

Emergency medical staff arrived and transported the victim to a nearby hospital, where she had surgery. Silk said the woman remained in the hospital Tuesday, but he would not release her condition.

Three of the dogs believed to be responsible for the attack — including the one that was shot — were being kept at the Saline County sheriff's office Tuesday.

• pauljohnson
    July 31, 2018 at 8:05 p.m.

I bet they were Pit Bulls.

• MaryMaryQuiteContrary
    July 31, 2018 at 10:07 p.m.

And Paul I bet your racist, too.

• arkateacher54
    July 31, 2018 at 10:55 p.m.

Chihuahuas no doubt.

• MS6321
    August 1, 2018 at 8:58 a.m.

I also would bet money that the dogs are Pit Bulls. MaryMaryQuiteContrary, if basing my opinion on statistics, observation and my own life experiences then I am sure you would call me "racist" as well.

• abb
    August 1, 2018 at 10:44 a.m.

We have a little farmhouse out on Mr. Abb's old family land out in Perryville and he has had to shoot a couple of feral pits that pack up and kill our neighbors cats and livestock (for fun) . He carries a suppressed rifle and dispatches them every once in a while with the neighbor. Haven't seen any in a couple of years. IMHO pits need to be banned/fixed/euthanized.

• LR1955
    August 1, 2018 at 1:41 p.m.

There are other areas, nice areas, all over AR where people let their Fido (labs, beagles, mixes, pits too) out to stretch their legs and the band up and run down deer, other dogs &!people! Then a couple hrs later they go back home like nothing bad happened.

• FireEyes
    August 1, 2018 at 2:21 p.m.

I would suspect pits as well, having had one break it's leash and nearly kill my German Shepherd. It had a glazed, zombie look in its eyes and we had to beat it over the head with a heavy limb to get it to turn loose of our dog's throat.

Having said that, ANY dog can go feral and rogue. My dad and his hunting buddies would hunt down and kill packs of dogs gone feral in the woods of Jefferson County as far back as the 70s. They had to do it a couple of times a year because people would dump them out and they would pack up.