Today's Paper Latest stories Obits 10 things to do this weekend The TV Column Newsletters Wally Hall Weather Puzzles/games
story.lead_photo.caption White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders listens to a question during the daily press briefing at the White House, Tuesday, May 22, 2018, in Washington. Sanders discussed Korea, media access at the EPA and other topics. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

WASHINGTON — White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders acknowledged Saturday in a tweet that she was booted from a Virginia restaurant Friday night because she works for President Donald Trump.

Sanders said she was told by the owner of The Red Hen in Lexington, Virginia, that she had to "leave because I work for @POTUS and I politely left."

Sanders said the event said far more about the owner of the restaurant than it did about her.

"I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so," Sanders said in the tweet from her official account, which generated 22,000 replies in about an hour.

Sanders' treatment at the restaurant created a social media commotion with people on both sides weighing in to provide their critique, including her father, former Arkansas governor and Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee.

"Bigotry. On the menu at Red Hen Restaurant in Lexington VA. Or you can ask for the 'Hate Plate,'" Huckabee said, quickly generating 2,000 replies in about 30 minutes. "And appetizers are 'small plates for small minds.'"

On Yelp, a reviewer of the restaurant from Los Angeles wrote: "Don't eat here if you're a Republican, wearing a MAGA hat or a patriot."

"12/10 would recommend. Bonus: this place is run by management who stuck up for their beliefs and who are true Americans. THANK YOU!!!!" said a reviewer from Commerce City, Colorado.

No one answered the phone at the restaurant.

Comments

• TimberTopper
    June 23, 2018 at 11:17 a.m.

This kind of action is not good. One discrimination leads to another type.

• tenpoint
    June 23, 2018 at 11:23 a.m.

a person should have the RIGHT to refuse service to anyone.i agree with the courts that said the people could refuse to bake the cake.

• DoubleBlind
    June 23, 2018 at 11:32 a.m.

TT - I don’t disagree with you. They just can’t have it both ways. If they choose to discriminate against some, they too will be discriminated against. Hopefully SHS or her husband knows how to cook in the event they can no longer eat out. Or maybe they can hire an illegal. Wouldn’t that be rich rich rich. I wonder how many local events, dinners at friends houses they attend where the food is cooked, served and cleaned up by illegals. They’re horrible horrible hypocrites.

• RBear
    June 23, 2018 at 11:41 a.m.

This was wrong, regardless what you think of SHS. When we get to this point, we lose the ability to find areas of reconciliation.

• cliffcarson
    June 23, 2018 at 11:58 a.m.

DoubleBlind
    Your behavior of using a personal attack on Sanders anatomy to show your displeasure of her position as the White House Spokesperson is shameful. However it seems this is acceptable behavior for many of the Democratic family. And it is one reason of many that turns many decent people against the Democrat Party. Why would anyone think kindly of a person like you or those who agree with you?

• DoubleBlind
    June 23, 2018 at 11:59 a.m.

Yes, RB, it’s wrong. But it’s the Trump way. They cannot expect to be immune from quid pro quo resulting from rulings by their conservative activistic architected courts. Perhaps it is one way to drive home to them that they lie (pun intended) in the beds they themselves make. I don’t blame anyone who doesn’t turn the other cheek. I will visit the Red Hen on my next visit and run up a big tab there.

• DoubleBlind
    June 23, 2018 at 12:14 p.m.

CC - I’m not a dem so your point is off the mark. If it’s any consolation, while FLOTUS may be objectively more physically attractive than SHS, I find her even more disgusting as a result of her behavior and the fact that she is an illegal alien who can’t even speak the language after being in the US for 20yrs. When your ilk apologizes for 8yrs of comparing the Obamas to apes and acknowledges breathtaking hypocrisy re Trump and his 2 illegal alien wives and 4 anchor babies perhaps I’ll follow.

• PopMom
    June 23, 2018 at 12:37 p.m.

The best way to fight Trump is not through rudeness, but by taking over the House. Do what you can to help the Dems. Volunteering and fundraising for Clarke Tucker will help the Dems to take the House. Even if he doesn’t win, we will at least have made them spend money which will help in other parts of the country.

• RBear
    June 23, 2018 at 12:50 p.m.

I read the accounts in DCist about how protesters harassed Nielsen at MXDC. That was uncalled for and more a desire to showboat than actually make a difference. Sure, patrons in the restaurant applauded the protesters for their actions. But it really didn't serve anyone and probably did nothing to change Nielsen's mind.
    ...
    As PM said, we make a stand at the ballot box. Otherwise, nothing really changes.

• DoubleBlind
    June 23, 2018 at 12:52 p.m.

I agree everyone should vote in Nov. I advocate revocation of citizenship and deportation of any American who DOESN’T vote. They’re either too lazy or too ignorant or both. We should send them somewhere where they’ll feel at home, like Greece. But I don’t advocate voting alone. We are living under a rapidly growing fascist - not merely ‘rude’ - regime. I cannot advocate standing idly by while awaiting the polls to open.