Today's Paper Latest stories Obits Rex Nelson Wally Hall Brummett online Traffic Newsletters Weather Puzzles
story.lead_photo.caption In this file photo Pulaski Academy football coach Kevin Kelley and quarterback Layne Hatcher (right) celebrate their 5A High School Football State Championship against McClellan. - Photo by Benjamin Krain

Pulaski Academy quarterback Layne Hatcher has received a scholarship offer from Alabama and will report to Tuscaloosa on Saturday and start classes Tuesday.

He originally was offered a preferred walk-on spot with the Crimson Tide but was ready to report to Arkansas State as a grayshirt.

"It was a surprise for sure," Hatcher said. "I'm super excited about it — to get down there. I'm excited to get down there and be a part of the culture and the tradition they have there and really be under true excellence with the coaches and the players around me."

Hatcher talked to Coach Nick Saban and quarterbacks coach Dan Enos and was told about the offer.

"For awhile, they wanted me to come down as a preferred walk-on, and after that didn't work out, today I got to talk to Coach Enos and Coach Saban, and they informed me about what's going to happen," Hatcher said. "So I'm going to tomorrow."

Hatcher passed for a state record 15,483 yards and 185 touchdowns in four seasons at Pulaski Academy, the last three as its starter.

As a senior, he completed 384 of 531 passes for 5,779 yards with 66 touchdowns and 11 interceptions and lead the Bruins to their fourth consecutive Class 5A state championship and named the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette All-Arkansas Preps offensive player of the year.

Hatcher, who was 41-1 as the starting quarterback for the Bruins, said Friday has been a whirlwind.

"It's crazy — I was thinking I was going to Arkansas State from a month from now to packing my bags tonight and going down tomorrow to Alabama," Hatcher said.

He embraces the opportunity to play for a program that has won five national championships since 2009.

"It's a world-class place, and I'm super excited just because you get to surround yourself around greatness, you're going to be great," he said. "So I'm excited to be around those guys and learn from them and see what I can do."

Comments

• jmg1232
    May 25, 2018 at 1:13 p.m.

Wow, good enough for Bama, but not good enough for Arkansas?

• Packman
    May 25, 2018 at 2:09 p.m.

Interesting. I've seen the kid play and he's a three star recruit at best. His velocity isn't that good and has terrible accuracy on anything over 20 yards. My guess is somebody is about to transfer and they need another scholarship QB to carry a clipboard.
    Regardless, best wishes to the kid. Getting a scholarship to play football for Alabama is a BIG DEAL regardless.

• LRDawg
    May 25, 2018 at 2:38 p.m.

Bielema, part 2. Alabama doesn't give away scholarships, Pack. They recruit and land the players they want. Pretty sure our latest QB commit was a 3star from MS....why not take the 3star in your own state? Congrats to Layne for a Hall of Fame type high school career!

• obbie
    May 25, 2018 at 5:15 p.m.

Wonder why or whether our Hog Team really got after Hatcher? Anyway, Layne, some would rather chance the splinters of the bench for 'Bama than throw for anybody else. Good luck!

• JT77
    May 25, 2018 at 6:23 p.m.

Puzzling move by both Bama and Hatcher.

• mrcharles
    May 25, 2018 at 9:40 p.m.

Agree , mostly, with sea bass assessment of LH ...but.......

Mere mortals cannot question the man deity SABAN ...alabama doesn't wast scholarships & from eedt to east what QB would not take a scholarship from My Olympus.

• MaxCady
    May 26, 2018 at 12:23 a.m.

The Tide needs depth because either Hurts or Tagovailoa could transfer. Hatcher is the 53rd ranked dual threat quarterback in the 2018. Saban must have seen something or figure he can coach him up. He's not typical Tide recruit.

• MaxCady
    May 26, 2018 at 3:33 p.m.

Nothing wrong with wanting to go with a WINNER!!! ROLL TIDE!!