Today's Paper Search Latest Core values App Traffic map In the news #Gazette200 Listen Digital FAQ Weather Newsletters Obits Puzzles/Games Archive
story.lead_photo.caption Commissioner of State Lands John Thurston and Susan Inman, who are both running for secretary of state, are shown in these file photos.

An Arkansas county temporarily closed most of its early voting sites after the Democratic nominee for secretary of state was left off the ballot, a glitch the candidate said left her in "sheer disbelief."

An official with the Garland County Election Commission said three of the county's four early voting sites were closed at times Monday because ballots did not include Susan Inman, the Democrat running for secretary of state. The sites have since re-opened.

Monday marked the start of early voting for Arkansas' Nov. 6 midterm election.

“I received a text from a friend who went to the early voting poll and said my name wasn’t on the ballot,” Inman said late Monday morning. “Of course I was in sheer disbelief.”

Inman said she contacted the Garland County Election Commission. Once the Election Commission confirmed that her name was missing from the ballot, however, officials closed the polls, the candidate said.

“This should have never happened,” Inman said. “This is an actual failure of election officials to check their materials.”

[RELATED: Early voting begins for Arkansas midterm election]

Commission Executive Secretary Sundra Mallory said before noon that ballots with Inman's name were available at the voting site at the Election Commission Building voting site. Mallory said two other sites also were open: one at the Hancock Fabric Building and another at Faith Fellowship Church. The fourth, LakePointe Church, is also open again, according to KT Anderson, a volunteer at the church.

Inman said that voters who go to the polls and find candidates missing from their ballots should not cast those ballots, but should instead take them back to election officials for correction, verification, or to determine the problem.

Inman is running against Republican John Thurston, who is currently the state's land commissioner. The current secretary of state, Republican Mark Martin, is barred by term limits from seeking re-election.

Reporter Josh Snyder and The Associated Press contributed to this story.

• RBear
    October 22, 2018 at 11:27 a.m.

You have one job to do on one day and you can't even get that right. Who controls the Election Commission in Garland County? Oh right, Republicans.

• JakeTidmore
    October 22, 2018 at 12:54 p.m.

Dumb and Dumber are at it again in Garland County.

• PopMom
    October 22, 2018 at 12:58 p.m.

Don't be surprised if there are many "equipment failures" and long lines in Democratic strongholds. If there is inadequate or nonworking equipment, it often is due to design--not accident.

• RBear
    October 22, 2018 at 1:35 p.m.

Early voting is especially brisk in Texas as numbers are nearing 2016 early voting numbers. We’ll see how they look in AR, especially Pulaski County which has a VERY competitive race on the ballot. Without strong races in the donut counties, that could worry Hill who has been carpet bombing the airwaves with negative ads.

• Curtisv
    October 22, 2018 at 1:44 p.m.

Nothing surprises me as far as elections are concerned and Sec. of State Miller is the worst in the history of the state (whoever wins is a big upgrade). I turned in over 500 signatures and needed only 361 only to be told I wasn't included on the ballot for state rep. I turned those in ten days prior to election in order to make sure I had enough signatures. I was assured by the Sec. of State office they would call me if numbers were insufficient. They called me two days prior to the deadline and I had an additional 119 signatures ready only to be told that you could only submit once. As I said, nothing surprises me when "Party" politics is involved.

• RBBrittain
    October 22, 2018 at 1:46 p.m.

I remember when Benton County -- the most Republican county in Arkansas -- used to have problems every election when Democrats ran the election commissions, so it's no surprise that Dem counties are having trouble under GOP commissions. I support Susan Inman, but whoever the next SoS is I hope he or she convinces the legislature to base election commission majorities in every county on which party controls the local offices (i.e., majority of quorum court or county offices) instead of the state constitutional offices, so that Benton County has a GOP commission while, say, Jefferson County has a Dem commission. (Pulaski could go either way depending on how the law is written, but our commissions are well-run no matter who controls them.)

• Guest0987
    October 22, 2018 at 1:50 p.m.

Garland County should be watched like a hawk, this county's election people are very corrupt.

• Packman
    October 22, 2018 at 2:06 p.m.

Susan who?
    PopMom thinks Garland County is a Democratic stronghold. Yep, she's gone off the deep end.
    Hey RBear - Might want to do a little research on ballot approval process for Arkansas counties. The "job" is actually shared by Republicans and Democrats alike with a solid system of checks and balances. This was most likely an honest mistake on the part of both Republicans and Democrats. But, you be you, RBear.
    And I hate to burst your bubble, RBear, but early voting was brisk in 2016 with astounding numbers for Hillary, and we all know how that turned out for her in The Natural State. OK, in all honesty I don't hate to burst your bubble. To the contrary, I find it rather enjoyable.

• idratherbesailing
    October 22, 2018 at 2:19 p.m.

LOL. She's wasting her time running anyway. Surely a printing error, not a big enough deal or race to have been intentional no matter what the idiots out there think (collusion! conspiracy!) The only ones who would be interested, willing, and stupid enough to try something like this are democrats anyway. Republican's just don't care enough to chance going to jail. really. I had to read down to see what she was even running for.

• RBear
    October 22, 2018 at 2:20 p.m.

Hey Pack, you should be the one to do the research. Inman is a statewide candidate and only needs to qualify at the state level. Garland County Elections is responsible for implementing the ballot. You continue to show how dumb you are. SMH